Coming to terms with HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by wally, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Took advantage of a Sunday walkabout and produced this image
    http://www.photo.net/photo/6235349

hand held, bracketed exposure and processed through Photomatix... Overall, I
    like the affect but to me, it lacks something...What would you do differently
    to reproduce a more dramatic HDR image... Your comments are appreciated.

Regards,
    Wally

2. Hmm, lack of drama isn't really an issue I don't think. It looks to me like a late 90s videogame backdrop (Ridge Racer anyone?). I'd drop the saturation dramatically and consider a B&W conversion.

3. It looks unreal, overdone, and over the top. Does it look like you saw?

Why would HDR be necessary? You use that to control long contrast ranges. You don`t seem to have that problem here.

4. The saturation and contrast are too high. IF you use HDR you should be able to pick get more detail in the clouds.

5. I think it's just a bit static and lacks any real point of interest. My eye is drawn along the road...to nothing in particular, and then I hunt around looking for something else to look at, and don't find it. I don't think lack of dynamic range is the problem, so HDR is probably not the solution.

6. I personally have yet to see one good HDR image. Most are grossly overdone. To handle bright sky areas I use a density mask and I have yet to run into a situation where that doesn't work.

7. I agree with all comments, this was my first attempt at HDR and will continue to explore its possibilities given the right scene and process.

Thanks, agsin.

8. WOW-- RIDGE RACER!