Comfortable detachable camera straps

eric_m4

<p>Op-Tech Pro straps come close to being detachable. The shoulder strap snaps to the ends, leaving about 6" of strap attached to the camera lugs. The attachment is a half-hitch in a loop around the split ring, so there's no metal to scratch the body. The snaps are a double-bayonet style, and quite secure.</p>

<p>For a variety of reasons, I use a Sun Sniper strap, which screws into the camera (or plate) tripod socket, and fits diagonally across my body. Some RRS plates are now fitted with a socket for a military style swivel connector, also very secure. Once detached, there's nothing to intefere with using the camera on a tripod. The straps, Magpul for example, are military single-point slings for an M4 style rifle, 1-1/2" wide nylon web material. Frankly, I could do without the shoulder pad of the Sun Sniper. It ends up around my waist anyway, and not on my shoulder.</p>

<p>I've made a variety of quick release straps over the years. The quickest & best have been for my TLR, but I assume you are talking about either a DSLR or SLR. I love leather straps, but have always been apprehensive about their becoming weak and breaking over time. So I recently made a quick release strap from leather, but which has a riveted metal swivel and clasp to attach the camera. If you are interested in the plans, send me a note & I'll show you how it's done. Been using it about 8 months now with high confidence.</p>