Combining CLS and Studio Lights

andy_chubb

Hi,

I've a home studio set up (Interfit EX-150 - two lights triggered by IR) and an SB-800.

Both work fine independently for different bits and pieces.

I'm looking to combine them though for some indoor shots where I need 3 lights. The plan is to have 1 light on the

RHS with softbox, the SB-800 on the LHS (in SU-4 mode and triggered by the light on the right) and the final light at

the back with a snoot lighting the hair.

I've used an SB-800 outside in SU-4 mode and adjusted the flash output (worked fine), the flash being driven by the

pop-up on my D80. My question is - is there any way to do this apart from the SB-800 being in manual mode (and

thus losing most of its techno features)?

Nope, I can't think of any way to combine Nikon's CLS with other systems. But for the type of setup you've described CLS is redundant. It's mostly valuable for use with multiple CLS compatible flash units set up quickly for greater control of TTL flash in temporary settings. Since the Interfits won't respond to changes from a CLS flash commander there's no advantage. Your best bet is to get a flash meter to help in adjusting your lights.

Yes -- you can combine CLS with manual studio flash... on some cameras (I don't know about the D80) you can use the camera's PC port to trigger the studio flash, and the shoe to run an SB-800 to trigger the SB-800. It might work with the D80's built in flash to trigger (and control) the SBs, while the studio flashes from the PC port.

Another way (I have not tried this) is to get a Wein Smart Slave http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm (scroll down). This will trigger your studio flash after the pre-flashes from CLS are done firing.

If your SB-800 is used in manual then turn off any preflash sequence (not accomplishing anything)... If you currently have a method to fire the other strobes, then you won't need to buy a smart slave...

I use the pop up flash in the D50 to fire my studio strobes (White Lightning) which have slave triggers built in... This leaves the camera free of cords for hand use off the tripod... I turn off the preflash in the camera menu and use a reflector card in front of the pop up to angle that flash towards one of the studio strobes and blocking the pop up from adding significant light to the scene (usually a portrait)... I use a strobe meter to set light levels and then take a test shot and chimp to see if the exposure looks right (camera in manual exposure mode)... By chimping you can even get by without a strobe meter for casual use...

denny

"I think you could use both CLS and monolights." - Yes, but you must know the limitation. Your studio flashes will not operate automatically or get controlled by a CLS commander. The studio flashes must be triggered by a sync wire, or by radio means, but not optical.

AND

"The monolights should have a built in optical slave which should fire them when the SB-800 goes." - No - the CLS mode preflashes from SB-800 will trigger optically your slave studio flashes before the shutter opens..

It has been discussed many times here.

One of them is here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00PoTy

... but there were better explanations in the past ...

The connection between pre-flashes and optical sensor triggers can be tricky. I was surprised to discover than I could use my Olympus digicam with the SB-800 set up remotely in SU-4 mode (manual mode) and use the two at most settings for the SB-800. The Olympus digicam preflashes did not prematurely trigger the SB-800 at most settings (there was one exception, either 1/1 or 1/128, don't recall which offhand).

So try and see with your own flash setup. But, again, it seems unnecessary to rely on CLS given the circumstances you've described.

Guys - thanks for the advice and info. There's plenty for me to consider and play about with when I get a snoot (currently on order). I've a particular shot in mind that I've been wanting to do for a while and haven't the cash to stump up for an extra strobe - am sure that the SB-800 will fill in nicely for what I want. May even post the result if it turns out like I hope!