Coloring B/W Photographs

chet___

Chet, I haven't used Marshall oil colors for prints in years, but I used to, a lot. If you do try them, use a sepia toner on the print first. I can't tell you how much better the print will be enhanced by the colors. This is especially so for portraits. Try it, you'll like it.

I've discovered that if the B&W image is printed on a matt surface the texture of that surface is quite good for applying oil colours with the aid of simple cotton buds and wooden toothpics.

<p>

On a white bread plate apply minute amounts of oil paint, can be the cheapest possible brand from China/Korea/Vietnam as the base is the same throughout the art market, and the intensity of the colours is soley dependent on the application and mixing of same.

<p>

Using a simple cotton bud apply liberaly over the hair the colour that best suits the subject then reduce to a more "normal" level by rubbing back with a wad of dry cotton wool until the desired affect is acheived, don't worry about spreading the oil over the image as it rubs off very easily when still "wet" and it stays wet for a couple of hours.

<p>

To do the eyes and lips, use marshalls colour dyes.

Mix 1:4 with water, as the dyes are very strong and once applied can't be removed/ 1drop dye: 4 drops water on a white bread plate.

use a very fine 000 sable brush. apply before the use of oils, the oils help to darken the intensity of the dyes if badly dyed.

<p>

TEST ON SEVERAL "TEST" STRIPS FIRST TO GET THE HANG OF IT! DON'T TRY ON THE GOOD PRINTS FIRST!

<p>

Good luck and let me know how you go :)

• 2 years later...

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

<p> </p>

<p>Just thought I'd reference an article related to hand coloring, if people still

had questions....</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usefilm.com/articles/handcoloring/index.php">Hand Coloring

B&W Prints</a> </p>

</body>

</html>