color/tonal quality in medium format

j_r18

Can anyone give me an idea how to achieve the rich color and tonal

quality exemplary in the work of Mitch Epstein (Leica?) as an

example? Is it a matter of a particular lens or a more complicated

process involving film choice, filters and color balance techniques?

I am a 35mm user considering a medium format setup and would love to

see examples of the fine art potential in cameras like the Fuji 670

III and Mamiya 7. I don't have the opportunity to rent these

cameras, so I can't really experiment with them, though I know the

aesthetic I'm after. Thank you for your time, I know this may be a

loaded question...

JR

Medium format has less grain for the same output size, which tends to translate into a smoother tonality (the grains are smaller, so there are more combinations available to render gradients). There is relativly little contribution by the lens and none whatsoever by the camera body. A 6x7 image is 5 times the size of 35mm - Leica doesn't compete in this league.

While I agree with the grain/output/mathmatical comments above, I can't believe the line about lenses having little to do with color and tonal quality.

Glass, coatings and lens design all play a huge role in light/color transmission. If you think not, shoot through an old fogged Leica lens versus a clear one. The contrast, resolution (and cost) supported by top lens makers is renowned for a reason. Admittedly, the two makers you reference are no slouches, but the simple fact that you noticed and cited Leica lenses ought to be proof enough to you that there is something there, despite its small size.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

"I can't believe the line about lenses having little to do with color and tonal quality."

I agree if we are considering all lenses over all time. In this case, we are talking about recent Fujinon or Mamiya lense, which are among the finest available. Modern Leica lenses are also among the best, but with 1-1/2 square inches of film - how much can you expect? (I own a Leica and several lenses - as tools, not objects of veneration.)

What the film does with resolution and colour rendition is one thing, the influence of the lens is entirely separate. Both are very real factors. To get the result you must consider the 'combination' of the two, as one without the other does not happen!

Leica lenses, and probably others, do have characteristics unique to a particular design. Likewise, real estate (film area) is also a definite player in the representation of nuances. It is no small exercise to analyze them all. After accepting all that, film choice, processing controls, the way you hold your mouth when shooting, all have an effect. You really do need to experiment for yourself as 'my way' probably only suits me and so on.

Sorry to be so indirect with advice, but that's how it is, and it's constantly changing while we ponder the question.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I really just need to get my hands on these cameras and try them out somehow...It certainly helps to know that the biggest contributing factors to tonal rendition seem to be the lens and film combo. Any other ideas would be appreciated!