Color Temperature Meters and Architectural Photography

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by neil_poulsen|1, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. At least one very well known architectural photographer does not use a
    color temperature meter. Others swear by them.

    How can a color temperature meter be used for architectural
    photography. What set of filters should one have on hand, and how
    would one select these filters to make adjustments based on readings
    from a color temperature meter.
  2. You use a color meter to balance light source(s) to the film you are using. You use a
    color meter to help determine how to balance different light sources to each other or
    into an aesthetically pleasing whole. You use a color meter to help determine how to
    balance different types of light sources to each other by using gels on one or both
    the types of lights. You use a color temperature meter to help pre-visualize how the
    final images color scheme in an image will come out: It is very possible to use a color
    meter as an aid to expression, not just a tool to technical correction. They are
    especially good if you are shooting transparency film, even the new Fuji Velvia 100F
    and Astia 100F need help with this. Even if you shoot digital it is very useful as good
    photographs are not always about "white balance"<P>The complete filter set you
    need is: the 81 series (81, 81A, 81B, 81C, 81D, 81EF) the 85 series, the 82 series, the
    80 series and Green and Magenta CC filters in different strengths from CC05 to
    CC30. <P>A good color meter will tell you which filters (or lighting gels) to choose to
    get the color to "neutral" with the smallest number of filters The best color meter on
    the market today is the Minolta Color Meter IIIF. Even if you shoot digital or are very
    knowledgeable in Photoshop techniques, it is very useful as good photographs are
    not always about "white balance"
  3. I agree with Ellis here! Sometimes, a little warm tone from the incadesent light
    is nice on a home type interior but essentially you should have some filters to
    filter out green (typically magenta filters), blue filters to filter out yellow from
    incadesent, and a set of warming filters. Some people filter the windows,
    some filter all the flouro lighting and if you have all of the above, your work is
    cut out. I have done alot of restaurant work and highend homes so it is really a
    matter of filtering out yellow from the incad. lights. I usually go with a lower
    filter like an 80B or C or just use tungsten film but you also have to be aware
    of the outside light coming in... as you can see, sometimes it is a real juggling
    act! It helps to mount the filters behind the lens and the way I do this is to get a
    gel holder from Calumet that is for rear mounting made by Xenophon. (http://;Camera+Accessories;007;Camera+

Share This Page