color space in Leaf software

<p>I'm looking for advice on selecting proper color space in Leaf 22 software. I had been shooting with ProPhoto RGB--at the recommendation of an photoshop editor..but have noticed a red cast to many images--we shoot products in studio. I've been looking at images in Adobe RGB to compare...better but greener.<br>

Is there a standard that an industry "go by"? Some stuff looks more accurate with Adobe RGB and some more accurate with ProPhoto RGB...<br>

Suggestions? other than switching back & forth??</p>

<p>Thanks.<br>

Cathy</p>

<p>Cathy,</p>

<p>The color space is (nearly) completely irrelevant to color casts. Mostly, the choice of color space has to do

with the presence of highly-saturated colors that lie outside the gamut of one color space but inside

the gamut of another.</p>

<p>What you need instead is to acquire (or create) a color profile for the camera. I’d start

with Leaf support; I’m sure they’ll be able to help you, or at least point you in the

proper direction.</p>

<p>This all assumes, of course, that you are using a good color-managed workflow, with a profiled

monitor (and printer).</p>

<p>If your goal is colorimetric accuracy (such as if you’re doing product photography) then

you’ll probably wind up spending a bit of money on an X-Rite product. (You can get excellent quality using the free software, <a href="http://www.argyllcms.com/">Argyll CMS</a>, if you’re not afraid of the command line, but you’ll still need a suitable target to photograph.) If your goal is

“pleasing” color, then you may have better luck spending a bunch of time up front

creating a formula of some sort in your RAW processing software that creates the look

you’re after, and then applying that to each image before further processing. Adobe’s

DNG profiles may be appropriate in that case if you’re using Camera RAW or Lightroom.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>