"Color Skopar" means, what, exactly (in a Perkeo) ?

Picked up a camera cheap at a charity auction. Has a surprisingly

good lens, an 80mm f3.5 Color Skopar. I had great lenses on an

older Rolleiflex SL35M, and some were Skopars. Since those lenses

were modern, and the lens on this folding Voigtlander 120 Perkeo II

isn't, what does Skopar designate? Is it like "Ektar", a model line

of sorts? I assume this lens is a coated Tessar, but of course,

might be wrong. The images seem too good at varying apertures for

this for this to be a 3-element lens. Great little folding camera.

Super small for an old 120 camera, with a coated lens of some sort

(what sort?). Any feedback appreciated. I found some websites

mentioning this cam, but none that I saw told what the lens really

was, or if it was used on other similar cameras.

Good snag, Carl. Don't take this personally, but I hate you.

Skopar was Voigtlaender's name for their four elements in three groups Tessar clone. When coating came into general use after WWII, Voightlaender marketing insisted that a coated lens was necessary for shooting color -- the old uncoated ones just wouldn't do, time to buy a new camera -- and called their new-fangled coated lenses Color whatever. Color Skopar, in your case. Its still a tessar close.

There IS one old Voigtlaender lens sort of named Skopar, the Apo Skopar, that is in fact a five elements in three groups Heliar type. AFAIK, that's the only exception to the rule old Skopar = Tessar.

The Skopar, coated or not, was the second line lens on Perkeos and Bessa 66s. The most best was, yes, the Heliar. On 6x9 Bessas, the top of the line, post-WWII, was a Heliar with rare-earth glasses, the Apo Lanthar. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, Perkeos weren't offered with Apo Lanthars.

The lanthanums are a group of rare-earth elements sometimes added to optical glass to improve certain properties (not sure what properties). I'm pretty sure the lanthar uses that type of glass. Perhaps Voigtlander were able to achieve the same performance from this design while reducing the number of elements ?

...Wayne

Wayne, about the Apo Lanthar, read what I wrote. The plain Lanthar was a triplet, the Apo Lanthar is a heliar type.

Perkeo? A Voigtlaender trade name. To learn more, take the Heidelburg castle tour. Nickname of a dwarf jester imported from Italy who asked "why?" a lot and came to a bad end. Perkeo is a phonetic spelling of the question.

Wayne wrote: "The lanthanums are a group of rare-earth elements sometimes added to optical glass to improve certain properties (not sure what properties). I'm pretty sure the lanthar uses that type of glass. Perhaps Voigtlander were able to achieve the same performance from this design while reducing the number of elements ?"

I think you're right. Agfa did that for their Apotar, a triplet like the Agnar, but with better glass.