Color Shift in Tux?

katydid

I have a wedding that I did and there is a color shift in the grooms tux. In some pictures it is black and others

it is blue with the satin parts showing up as purple. I use lightroom but am clueless on this one as to how I can

correct the color shift and make the tux black. Any ideas?

Several questions may need to be answered first. What gear, defusers, what flash unit, and what were your settings on the camera?

If your camera was set to auto white balance this could be your problem, but more details from you would be valuable.

My guess is try setting the camera to flash or sunny when using your flash. When shooting in the shade set your camera to shade, if you are using a fill flash in the shade set the camera to flash. Auto white balance in my opinion, is perhaps the worst possible setting, because the senser isn't real accurate. Hope this helps.

Bob B has a good point above, but I don't understand, is it only the Tux? Did you see shifts in the Bride's dress? Skintones? There should not be a shift in just blk/blu. Did this shift occur at time of capture or in post processing? You should be able to get a white balance in Lightroom that will arrive at a consistent hue for the tux unless you've done individual adjustments to the images with "fill light" and that will, of course, change the hue. If you can't correct the wht bal in Lightroom to bring about a consistent hue, my guess is that you underexposed the faces and have post processed the dynamic range out of your images in the blue (v black) tux images.

If only the tux is off color and the rest of the picture is correct, LR can not correct it. Photoshop can do local changes to

a picture such as changing colors of a specific area.

If the whole pic is off, adjust the color temp in the proper place. If auto WB caused the problem , this will fix it.

Try putting the white color picker on something white in the picture. Perhaps the whole picture is off and you do not

recognize it.

Some flashes do funny things with materials that will reflect infrared light. Synthetic blacks fall in this category.

Why not put up a sample so someone can look at it. If you are shooting JPEG straight from the camera, reduce it in

size but do no further processing. If RAW, convert to JPEG and reduce size. 72 ppi 500 pixel wide and put a title on

it. Blue tux will do.

A thought not mentioned, and not to be dismissed without seeing a shot, is that it could be a natural reaction of the fabric. Depending on the type of fabric the tux is made from, the sheen, etc. I HAD a couple of black jackets many years ago that would show a slightly blue or purple depending on the way the light was hitting them. Just a thought.

The current Lightroom can fix it. You can select a small range of colors and then change HUE/SAT/Luminace. Add a

little temp. or try using the "Black Function". I've never ran into a problem Lightroom could not handle. May take

some time, but it can be done. Sounds like you are a little cold on the Color Temp. Just be carefull not to use so

much the whites turn dirty. Use sparingly