Color reproduction from Canon Pro DSLRs Vs Nikon

ntv666

<p>Dear Guys</p>

<p>I am a Nikon user with D300 and D200 with all fast and prime lens . I always find that the color reproduction looks more natural in Canon images (after Processing or conversion from RAW) than Nikon. Nikon gives a a little saturated colors even in NORMAL settings and in the studio situations I find that there is a yellow color cast in Nikon images . My question is , is this can be corrected in the post processing either with CS3 or 4 or NX2 ? Can it be possible that the color reproduction can be made identical for the both NIKON and CANON images after post processing?<br>

Thanks in advance for your advice please.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If your monitor and printer profiles are calibrated, you use the proper camera profiles in your RAW converter/processing software, and take some time to establish the correct exposure (gray card...) and correct WB (even if you are shooting in RAW) and use a color checker card for verification, you should be able to come pretty close. Yet I find that Nikon cameras (even D3x) clip in the red channel way too early, much earlier than the high-end Canon (1Ds3) so the correct exposure is very, very important with Nikon and your results esp. in reds/yellows may still be off.</p>

<p><em>"Can it be possible that the color reproduction can be made identical for the both NIKON and CANON images after post processing?</em> " Identical is possible but may be difficult. Really close is certainly possible. Ultimately it depends on the subject matter as each system/camera handles colors slightly differently.</p>

<p>There are so many variables that affect "color reproduction" from DSLR cameras that the effect of the camera choice is essentially negligible:</p>

<ul>

<li>original scene lighting</li>

<li>in camera settings</li>

<li>exposure choices</li>

<li>a range of options applied during the RAW conversion process</li>

<li>a range of options applied during post-processing</li>

<li>a range of options applied during jpg conversion and variables in monitor settings, and/or...</li>

<li>a range of options applied during printing including the printer used, printer calibration, and choice of paper.</li>

</ul>

<p>These choices include some that are technical and aimed at accuracy and a number of others that might be characterized as aesthetic and aimed at creating preferred image.</p>

<p>In the end you can get whatever you are trying to achieve using either camera/lens brand. There are other more substantial reasons to choose between brands.</p>

<p>What G Dan just said plus the argument is most often the reverse: "Why can't Canon produce the top natural colors my Nikon does, especially skin tones?"</p>

<p>It's a never ending circle, rather, a Mobius Strip with these too oft repeated questions.</p>

<p><em>"Yet I find that Nikon cameras (even D3x) clip in the red channel way too early..."</em><br>

A Nobel prize for you -- excellent insight Michael.</p>