Color Calibrator - Windows 7

<p>The short story: I have a Color Spyder with Photocal 2.7.7 software. Works great. Been quite happy - until. . . .<br>

. . .I got a new PC with a 64bit Windows 7 operating system.<br>

Questions:<br>

1) Have I been hosed by the "obsolete hardware" syndrome?</p>

<p>2) If I need a new calibrator. . .what should I get? Is the Spyder3 express adequate? Or should I get something better?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>On the bright side, if we're talking original Spyder, your hardware is definitely obsolete and it's a great time to upgrade. ;)</p>

<p>If your needs are modest (single monitor, standard white point and gamma), the Spyder3 Express will be adequate. If you need more flexibility, you'd need to step up to the Spyder3 Pro or Elite models. </p>

<p>Are the Spyder's still the color calibrator of choice? Or are there better (yet still economical) things out there?</p>

<p>And my Original Spyder is only obsolete because Microsoft said so :( -> Window's 7 is proving to be an interesting experience. While the Spyder is dead, my Sansa music player was identified properly and Windows actually me of an available firmware update -> which was totally new behaviour.</p>

<p>Hey Jim... we are in the same boat. I had the Monaco Optix XR Pro and it worked great with all my XP systems. But yes, we've been hosed.</p>

<p>I liked that the measuring device was "nulled" before each use (a black "exposure" to set a base line d-max), but it seems this has been done away with in X-rites recommended Win 7 compatible package called i1 Display2.</p>

<p>So I, like you am looking for the best I can get for under $200 and so far I am going with the guys that hosed me (and the i1 Display2 for $180 at Adorama), because X-rite has been doing this densitometer/calibration thing for several decades (I have an old X-rite densitometer for film that is probably over 30 years old. It holds dust for me) and I liked what I got from the Optix Pro, which I will continue to use on my XP machines.</p>

<p>I am surprised by what works and what doesn't with Win7. My old and cheap Graphire tablet works fine... go figure. I'll watch this thread for a while and see what you get for advice. Thanks for posting... t</p>