portrait, second year art and then nothing. There is no real degree

as far as I can tell no photography major nothing. I am looking to

transfer. I want to trainsfer to another college, a real college, a

University something I can get a degree from, preferably something

that would teach photojournalism, art photography, and like outdoor

sports photography. I've looked for a while and came up with some

school-of-photography places, which are nice for experiance, but I

want a degree from somewhere. Where could I go ANY WHERE would be

nice for consideration. Thank you.<div>006TBL-15237084.jpg.d1486680125a1b9323e4d08395aefefa.jpg</div>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockport College is a HUGE mess. I know you are interested in a longer program... but let me warn you, the portfolio is great... but I am not sure they will be accredited and when i left things were going down hill fast.

Northwest College (Powell, WY) is another two year program. The student portfolio isn't stellar, but the facilities and staff work is pretty impressive. I will be attending in January (04). Their focus is on journalism and commercial studio/portrait and not fine art.

I joke I went to RPC to learn how to be an art snob, and NWC to get a job.

There are advantages to AA/AAS degrees, you can skip a lot of gen ed crap and enter as a junior. It also gives you time to build a more impressive portfolio to get scholarships and entrance to better schools.

Also-

I do not consider NWC to be a "community college". In Wyoming, it is unconstitutional for more than one university in the state. So it's all in Laramie. Which has a crappy art department. As a result, Casper College and Northwest act and feel more like normal undergrad colleges. They have dorms, meal plans and transfer programs to other area universities which makes it easier to transfer. I am not sure if there is a transfer program in photo, however.

Well my suggestion would be RIT, since I go there/am here... whatever.

But there are a number of excellent schools, the likes of which others will have more knowledge about than I. If you however are interested in anything in specific about RIT feel free to get my email through my user profile here.

Go to a school with a good Business and Administration

program. You can learn the photography by taking a class here

and there, but the business skills (the know how to run your own

business) are what will make you or break you in the long run.

There are an aweful lot of good shooters out there, but not too

many who have the shooting skills and the business skills...both

of which you will need to make it.

Noah,

Sounds like everyone and his dog has an opinion about where to go to learn photography. As a guy who has gone through the college system and learned about the university system by those who have attended, my best advice is to go take some courses in business while you work (and earn) as a photographer's assistant. In the bigger city centres you have the opportunity to learn from a variety of seasoned photographers first hand. And they pay YOU! I know of a few folks who

went from their 2 year course directly to assisting and say that what they learned in school was of limited use when it came to the real world.

Also, what the schools of photography teach about starting and running a photography business is almost laughable, except for perhaps the elite schools like Brooks and a couple others.

The types of photography you are looking to study can be picked up first hand when assisting, and immediately you will have experience. Something a potential employer wants to see on a resume much more than a degree, unless you want to be a teacher. In this business, experience and business know-how are everything.

It's up to you ultimately. But I would do your best to 1. get experience without going into debt, and 2.learn how to run a photography business.

Good luck.

MT

Michael is right. You will get much farther assisting/interning part time for a working photographer and taking specific photo/business classes on the side. Save the money you were going to use for college and use it to start your own business.

It's hard to see it from where you are, but this is the fastest route to making a living through photography. I know lots or RIT/Brooks grads who work in framing shops or photography stores.

If you really want to play your cards right: Major in something else that interests you, and do photography on the side as a hobby, a business, a life. That way, if your artistic pursuits do not back you up financially or socially, you can still fall onto your degree. I've spoken to a number of pro photographers who work for a living, and many work as professionals in other fields, and devote time to their photographic pursuits until they've found them lucrative enough to quit their professional day job.

By the way, community college is "real college." Having gone from a four year, top engineering institution to a complete life change and ending up in a city community college for a semester, I'll tell you that nothing is very different between the two schools except the students. The nice thing about CC is it is what you make of it...if you want to learn nothing from it and simply bum around and smoke pot til 6 in the morning before your exams and club all night...then fine, you'll get your C- average and probably never step foot into a four year college. But if you want to take it to a higher notch, the honors programs and the diverse course offerings can help make the world your little own personal oyster for your four year experience.

Don't take what I write so literally, but make your decisions using your own life perspective. As much as it sucks, you have to take the economy and the future into consideration, no matter how talented of a photographer you are.

--Laura ;)

I agree with Laura. <P>I did wedding photography in the late 60's and early 70's. Everyone back then was pretty poor. It provided some money but not to what I wanted out of the material life.<P>I spent the late 70's until the mid 90's in another field (Corporate Sales) that I received good compensation. It was quite stressful. But I was able to have a wife who chose to stay home and work with our family. Our children are now grown, all very successful. My wife has a darn good job and I can fool around now. So I've taken up photography full time, it began in earnest in 2001, as a professional.<P>I love it. I'm doing weddings. I'm working a trade show next spring with a wedding association I was invited to join in Minneapolis. I've had two art shows and you know, this is fun! The internet has really helped.<P>At any rate, photography is my love and passion. And now I can truly fulfill that desire. I'm embracing it with a strong vigor! Since $$$ is not my prime objective I'm having a ball at this. My clients love it because my attitude is upbeat, came from sales, even during the wedding photo sessions. Not stressful to me because real stress is what I did before this!<P>I recommend getting a degree in business. Owning a photography business is a business first and foremost. And that's a good thing to know in order to be successful. The Minneapolis College of Art and Design has a four year BFA program on photography.<P>But like others have said, get out there, write your own college program from your experiences. Associate with other successful photographers. Work for free if you have to. They will show you stuff that is priceless. Maybe consider joing the POA or WPPA.<P>Join Toastmasters to help keep your attitude in a positive and upbeat mood. Have fun and enjoy life!

S. Shrader has a good opinion, and others. San Francisco has the creative people, and

hundreds of professionals. Sf State University is a good choice; particularly because

it has both a School of Business and a reasonable art department. We have a City

College here which is very cheap and has photography. Living here is not cheap, but

transit is very cheap.

I suggest that you will get most of your artistic push from making friends who are

photographers, and this is a good place to be. You'll like the weather! And we have

lots of cultural opportunities here.

The teacher will only take you so far, and generally college teachers are sort of

against teaching what you need to know to be a professional. Only a few colleges,

like Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara CA is professionally inclined in the U.S.

You should assist a pro and be where there are pros. Los Angles has the pros, so

does New York.

I think that it is excellent advice to get a Business Degree in Marketing or Advertising.

It will put you wise to the world and can be a good back-up income.

In the first 2 years, your choice is not critical for a college, So try SF State or City

College here. We have rental darkrooms, and city has a color darkroom as I recall.

These are not beautiful campuses, they are foggy and alittle boring to look at. These

are not party colleges, the city is the party. But the people are very diverse. The

campus square is named Malcom X Plaza, for example, and the campus is filled with

work a day students, not recreational students.

You could make contacts with the ASMP or Advertising photographers of America or

whatever many groups there are here. Become a member of Toastmasters, too.

San Francisco has everything, but New York has all the work. So start out here and

then hit the big time.

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

In the meantime, cut out thousands of photos from magazines, and categorize them.

After art school, re-categorize them. You will have additional categories which you

gleened from art school. Being a photographer is also like being a librarian of visual

ideas. Get these ideas from prior work. When you know what has been done, you

have a chance to know what to do. You must know what a visual clique is. What is a

tired worn-out idea? What is new? Why? Where are the limits? Start collecting

photographs now, photography is not just about operating a camera!

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Go to engineering or business school, make some good money and learn photography as a serious hobby. Once you have the skills, you can try devoting more time to pursue it without all the risk and uncertainty.

At the least, you'll enjoy it and you'll have something enjoyable to do in retirement. At best, you will become a good photographer and you'll actually make money doing it, or even become famous.

Photography can be learned in many ways. The best way is to get out in the field with guys who know what they are doing. Find others to critique your work and learn to be your own critic. Enjoy!

Well all I can say is if you want engineering, business and photography, I do know RIT aint half bad.

In all seriousness, I'm not at RIT for a strict photographic degree (im in the sciences), but I do know some people following the photography and business path and some grads have been quite successful. I also know that many trustees and other forces at RIT are pushing for all future graduates of essentially ALL programs to be required to take business courses so they can set up and run their own businesses or at least promote themselves effectively.

Same as before, I can only toot my own horn for RIT, i don't have any other suggestions. Except to avoid Alfred University, if its as bad as my friend is experiencing it doesn't sound like a good choice for anything photography related.

Here is my advice for what it's worth.

DO NOT MAJOR IN PHOTOGRAPHY!

Goto the best 4 year university in either NYC or SF or LA or Chicago (or another giant city) you can get into. If they have a good sports tradition then better yet. Get a job (or volunteer) at the school paper so you can get a press pass, and therefore into all the university (and area) events. Take photography classes and get to know the faculity in that department Possibly even minor in art or photography or something. Use your contacts (and experience) to get an internship in the area. These major metropolitian places should have lots to choose from but they may pay squat. Whatever the case at this point in your career follow the best opportunity and not the money. Things will either happen or not, but at least you will have a degree in a different field to fall back on if they dont. Also if you choose your degree well you might be able to find a photography angle in it.

If a major school is not for you then go solely with the internship/apprentce route in a big city. Do not waste your time in any 4 year or 2 year program. Take lots of photography courses, find a cheap source for film and a good darkroom (or go digital). Shot till your fingers hurt.

If I had to give advice where to inter, I would first say get a job in a good photo lab doing printing. YOu will learn and learn and learn. Try to understand digital color printing/workflow and traditional B&W printing since color negetive and slide are on their way out (no matter what you read, it's true - Digital cameras are gonna be amazing in a few years). B&W will stick around for the art.

Good luck

Good luck.

Noah,

So many good responses it's not easy to add anything meaningful. However, as someone who earned a great living from photography (annual reports) and taught photography (at The New School for Social Research), I'd like to add votes to the following ideas.

Do NOT go to photography school. Go to a good liberal arts school in a city that is vibrant with art. Study and experiment (take some classes if you like) with photography in your free time.

Yes, take business courses or even get a degree in business or management. Being a successful commercial photographer is first and foremost a BUSINESS.

Look into a crystal ball. There have been huge sea changes in photography as a business. Learn about the changes and try to figure out where you'll be in the next 10-20 years.

Clipping photos and categorizing them is a GREAT idea (from an earlier post). I went from still photography to directing and can tell you without a doubt IDEAS are your most precious commodity. Learn how to turn ideas into visual images.

Start your Rolodex (or electronic version) NOW. Talk to anyone who is remotely connected to photography and develop/maintain those relationships. When you start in business, it's much easier to sell to people with whom you have a relationship than make "cold calls."

Remember, selling is the world's second highest paying job.