College Choice

isadora_taft

<p>Can anyone tell me if the Academy of Art University is worth going into alot of student debt to pay for? I do not currently live in San Francisco so I would have to live on campus. Does the school have a reputable photojournalism major? If it doesn't, what other art or non-art schools are best for a photojournalism major in the Los Angeles/ O.C. Area? Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Can anyone tell me if the Academy of Art University is worth going into alot of student debt to pay for?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do a Google on photojournalists' average salary and do the math. The number you arrive at will be objective, while what anyone thinks it's "worth" is completely subjective.</p>

<p>I used to shoot for a number of dailies in the L.A. area including the Orange County Register. You can easily get your foot in the door at any of these places, especially if you intern there first (was how I did it, one of the places kept me on after my summer internship was over and it just kept snowballing from there). All you need is a strong portfolio as a student photographer, and you can start building that portfolio at a community college, which won't put you into anywhere near the level of debt that a private school like Academy of Art will.</p>

<p>There are a number of community colleges in the L.A. area that have strong journalism and photojournalism departments. Most of them participate in the Journalism Association of Community Colleges conferences, and you can have a look at the past winners in the photo categories to see which schools pop up that might pique your interest:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.jacconline.org/contests-awards">http://www.jacconline.org/contests-awards</a></p>

<p>If you have the money to burn or the willingness to go into severe debt for a photojournalism education, then do a bachelor's in a field that has more flexibility (read: that you can support yourself with in case the photojournalism thing doesn't work out), along with minor in business, and then go for a Master's from a real photojournalism school like Ohio University or the University of Missouri. Those two are recognized, and are the real deal - not private corporations whose main reason for being is taking mommy and daddy's money just so junior can say he's "going to college." That's what I would do if I had to do it all over again.</p>

<p>-John, I am looking to work for a publication like National Geographic or the Los Angeles Times. I am most interested in photojournalism.</p>

<p>-Hector, thanks for the listing. The Academy of Art University isn't even on that list...</p>

<p>-Hugh, your right. The true value of an education in the photography field is subjective. While I do value an education in photography I much prefer the idea of gaining experience and building a good portfolio at a community college if that college is able to give me the same benefits as an art university. Thank you for the link.</p>

<p>I'm just trying to warn you that there are often major differences between schools that claim to teach the same thing. If you look at the top names in photojournalism today, such as people associated with major press outlets (NY Times, Associated Press), major competitions (World Press Photo, Pictures of the Year International), or major agencies (Magnum, VII), you're not going to find very many Academy of Art University alumni in those ranks. Good schools are selective for a reason. Don't be fooled by slick catalogs or smooth talking student recruitment officers.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you look into the backgrounds of the major National Geographic photographers (like Jodi Cobb, for example), names like the University of Missouri pop up.</p>

<p>-Jeff, their course catalog does emphasize their several different housing sites for the students they have.<br>

-Hugh, I looked into schools in my area and Cal State Northridge seems to have a good journalism program with good facilities for photojournalism. I unfortunately can't relocate across the U.S. otherwise more options would be available to me.</p>

<p>If you're looking into the Cal State system then don't overlook Fullerton - also quite a good school. Before you commit to a 4-year degree in photojournalism, you should realize that the job situation in the field is dismal, and it's been that way even before this economic downturn.</p>

<p>Of course, if you're lucky enough to be a trust fund baby then it probably doesn't matter much.</p>

-Hugh, my Mom wants me to be a doctor so I can become successful. I am definitely not a trust fund baby haha. I thought Fullerton looked good, but I thought that Northridge looked better. Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it.

<p>Isadora, Photojournalism is a tough field. I went to CSUF and went on to work at O.C.Register (hugh, do I know you?) I learned more at a 2 year college. Study political science and just take pictures. A portfolio will develop. Photograph things you are interested in. I shot a lot of high school sports for pennies and now try for corporate clients.<br>

Check out my web site atempletonphoto.com</p><div>00WPVt-242265584.jpg.d18622ce89fb23bc82ec1c57643fe748.jpg</div>

<p>Can't say that I remember your name, but it's going on almost a decade since I left so I'm guessing a lot of people have moved on since then. Great place to work; I had a wonderful time there. I still have my key card, I wonder if it still works!</p>

<p>The point of getting an education about the world as preparation for photojournalism is a good one. It doesn't have to be political science. It could be history, sociology, economics, as long as it helps your understanding. Consider two of the best photojournalists/documentary photographers: James Natchwey studied art history and political science. Sebastiao Salgado studied economics and worked as an economist before taking up photography.</p>

<p>That said, junior college programs can be fine if you know exactly what you want, but a four year college or university will give you far better continuity. In your first or second year of a four year school, you may learn of courses or programs for which you have to plan ahead.</p>

<p>The point of junior college is the savings on two years of tuition, which can be significant if one plans to transfer to a private college, and doubly so if one intends to pursue a field like photojournalism, in which the job outlook is shaky at best. The rub, of course, is that relatively few students who go that route actually end up transferring, for both academic and logistical reasons. But for those who are actually driven, focused, and talented enough to be in the small percentage who successfully transfer, it can be very attractive to graduate with nearly half the debt.</p>

<p>An education about the world is all well and good, but what it ultimately comes down to is the work. I suppose you could go so far as to say that what Nachtwey and Salgado studied had an impact on the kind of subjects they tackle photographically, but to have eyes like theirs? Can't get it by studying.</p>

<p>I should add to that post for OP's benefit - Hector brings up a good point with continuity. With regards to the situation in Southern California specifically, you will find that at least some junior colleges, such as Pasadena City College for example, will list California State University and University of California transfer credits for various courses. There are also programs that help qualified/motivated students transfer successfully. You will get the most out of such programs if you plan ahead, so figure out where you want to end up, and find out what prerequisites you will likely need.</p>

<p><a href="http://pasadena.edu/transfer/">http://pasadena.edu/transfer/</a><br /> <a href="http://pasadena.edu/transfer/requirements/">http://pasadena.edu/transfer/requirements/</a><br /> <a href="http://pasadena.edu/transfer/specialprograms/">http://pasadena.edu/transfer/specialprograms/</a></p>

<p>Oh, and don't forget to find out what the latest round of budget cuts has done to the transfer situation. I am aware that, for California State University at least, there have been various caps and freezes put in place for incoming students recently due to lack of funding. I don't know if transfers have been similarly affected, but wouldn't be surprised if they have. If CSU and other schools in the state now have a preference for students who pay full fare for all four years, then you may want to re-evaluate the junior college idea, at least for now.</p>

<p>Isadora, going to college is great but my comment earlier about studying something besides Photojournalism is still a good idea.<br>

The future for jobs in Photojournalism is not good. A college degree isn't much more then a line or two on your resume. Not a good trade off for four years of your life.<br>

If you want a job in Photojournalism find a place that will let your get your foot in the door. A small daily or weekly newspaper. Take every small, crappy, late night, no fun, stupid, assignment they give you and give 120%. Go beyond what is asked. Take chances creatively. Research and produce your own photo stories. You don't have to chase breaking news in some third world country to get good photos. Good pictures and stories are everywhere. Get to know as many people as you can. Be a good person to have around. Develop a style. Study what other photographers are doing. Ask a lot of questions. People will be happy to answer. Keep learning. Don't take it personal when photographers with more experience criticize your work. Have a great attitude, no whining! <br>

If and when a job or internship comes up, attitude, experience, friends, and a portfolio will go 1000 times farther any amount of formal education.<br>

The best tasting fruit is always highest in the trees. Getting a job in Photojournalism is a going to be a very hard climb.<br>

Good luck!</p>