Collapsible lens stiff extraction/compacting

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by steve_bellayr, Feb 25, 2018.

1. I have an Elmar collapsible lens that is perfectly smooth on the focus ring and the f/stop but when collapsing and extracting the lens it is extremely stiff. I tried cleaning with lens cleaner which made it only slightly less stiff. Any recommendations? Thank you.

2. Please don't do that.
    You're putting moisture into the trapped fabric material that helps the tube slide (Designed to avoid metal to metal contact).
    A couple of drops of thick oil or wiping a thin film of synthetic grease will instantly be absorbed by the fabric and the 'smooth' sliding action will return...

BTW: To help preserve this 'fabric', always perform a bit of a tube 'Twist' when collapsing or extracting.

3. Would "Household Three in One Oil" work? or, if not, what oil would you recommend? Thanks for the response.

4. Would you recommend Nikonos O ring grease?

5. From a prior request for lubricants I use: "Full Synthetic Mobil 1 10W-30 (Oil), Synthetic Grease SuperLube PTFE (Grease)"
    Lube for cameras & lenses <<< click

6. I do not disagree with Gus. Actually, I copied all the information and was going to do what was recommended. Then I saw that I had some Nikonos O ring grease sitting near the camera. What the heck. I tried that. Put it on a few times and worked the lens to get the grease all around. It worked. Another product for a simple fix. Thanks anyway.