COKIN VS step up ring

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. I got 18-70 kit len , 62mm
    70-200 VR - 77 mm
    50mm - 52mm

    so i m thinking to get a set of step up ring
    or i should get Cokin ?
  2. For what type of filter?
  3. Using the Cokin system for, say, polarizing is actually quite annoying. You can't just rotate it with your hand as you have your eye to the VF. At least, I can't.

    I went from all 77mm filters with step-up rings to trying to go with an entirely Cokin system. I am now shifting back again but even more so - circular polarizers in all needed sizes (52, 62, 67, and 77), and then the rest of my filters with step-up rings, and Cokin pretty much just for grad ND's when used mostly with a tripod.

  4. Calvin, I am in the same situation as are you--with an 18--70 and other lenses with diameters of 52mm, 62mm etc. I went to the Cokin P ring a number of years ago and use it all the time for my Singh Ray polarizer and GNDs. One large size polarizer fits all, and its sure keeps the costs down. The Cokin is a type of step up ring IMO. Joe Smith
  5. I want to buy a CPOL , and some ND filter
    i m still thinking what should i get. Step Up/ Cokin.
  6. What sort of filters do you want to use?

    Step up rings are for usually round filters.

    Cokin is sheet filters, slot down styles. For a polariser, the annoying thing is you have to rotate it and look at it without the camera and then slot it down. Cokin are v good for graduate filters but if you are just doing digital blending on a digital camera a round filter style may be easier

    If you want a Cokin style holder that supports a rounded polariser the larger version does support it, I think Hitech or Lee supports a sheet filter holder with a round holder at the outside but its much more expensive, the filters are larger too so that will be more expensive, they are really for Hasselbalds or equivalent or sheet film cameras. The rounded filter is size of 105mm if I am not mistaken.

    I think just get step up rings for your usage for digital but if you using film, I get the P mount Cokin for grad filters and an expensive rotate and then slot down polariser for that.
  7. If you wanna get solid ND filters, no worry round filters will do just fine. The Cokin sheet styles are useful because you can pull and push it down to align the horizon ie .. sunsets and seascapes etc.

    If you need GND then one cheaper way but unsafer is to get a oversize rounded/square polariser and just blue tack it on your Cokin P mount small system.
  8. Obv for a Cokin there is a holder for filters and there is an attachment ring to fit various different size filter thread of your lenses such as 52mm, 62mm, 67mm and 77mm. You use the same Cokin holder with different attachment sizes. That's the Cokin way.

    Or just get step up rings for round filters.

    Question is are you going to use solid ND or grad ND filters? If you are using the latter and not gonna use digital blend then get the Cokin system with a more awkward polariser if you intend to use those (2) filters together.
  9. I m thinking to get solid ND

    can we use photoshop to mock up GND effect ? (double expourse)
  10. If you are not getting a split filter or a GND then just get the round filters with step up rings, saves the headache and you can shoot handheld without difficulty as well. Solid ND is to slow the speed down like waterfalls and stuff in a bright day.

    Digital blend.
  11. To clarify things, the Singh Ray polarizer I use in my Colin P holder is round. The Cokin holder can take round filters if they are of the right size. It can take rectangular ones too if they are the right size. Here is a picture of it:

    Joe Smith
  12. With step up rings, you need to get screw in lens hoods (and scrap any "thin" filters that you may already have).

    With the Cokin, you have the choice of several really good hood systems, Cokin square "modular" hoods that outperform round hoods, as well as Cokin or Lee bellows hoods.

Share This Page