COKIN VS step up ring

Using the Cokin system for, say, polarizing is actually quite annoying. You can't just rotate it with your hand as you have your eye to the VF. At least, I can't.

I went from all 77mm filters with step-up rings to trying to go with an entirely Cokin system. I am now shifting back again but even more so - circular polarizers in all needed sizes (52, 62, 67, and 77), and then the rest of my filters with step-up rings, and Cokin pretty much just for grad ND's when used mostly with a tripod.

allan

Calvin, I am in the same situation as are you--with an 18--70 and other lenses with diameters of 52mm, 62mm etc. I went to the Cokin P ring a number of years ago and use it all the time for my Singh Ray polarizer and GNDs. One large size polarizer fits all, and its sure keeps the costs down. The Cokin is a type of step up ring IMO. Joe Smith

What sort of filters do you want to use?

Step up rings are for usually round filters.

Cokin is sheet filters, slot down styles. For a polariser, the annoying thing is you have to rotate it and look at it without the camera and then slot it down. Cokin are v good for graduate filters but if you are just doing digital blending on a digital camera a round filter style may be easier

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

If you want a Cokin style holder that supports a rounded polariser the larger version does support it, I think Hitech or Lee supports a sheet filter holder with a round holder at the outside but its much more expensive, the filters are larger too so that will be more expensive, they are really for Hasselbalds or equivalent or sheet film cameras. The rounded filter is size of 105mm if I am not mistaken.

I think just get step up rings for your usage for digital but if you using film, I get the P mount Cokin for grad filters and an expensive rotate and then slot down polariser for that.

If you wanna get solid ND filters, no worry round filters will do just fine. The Cokin sheet styles are useful because you can pull and push it down to align the horizon ie .. sunsets and seascapes etc.

If you need GND then one cheaper way but unsafer is to get a oversize rounded/square polariser and just blue tack it on your Cokin P mount small system.

Obv for a Cokin there is a holder for filters and there is an attachment ring to fit various different size filter thread of your lenses such as 52mm, 62mm, 67mm and 77mm. You use the same Cokin holder with different attachment sizes. That's the Cokin way.

Or just get step up rings for round filters.

Question is are you going to use solid ND or grad ND filters? If you are using the latter and not gonna use digital blend then get the Cokin system with a more awkward polariser if you intend to use those (2) filters together.