Cokin style filters and flare

trevor_martin

<p>Hello,<br>

I've decided to try using graduated neutral densisty filters, probally hitech filters as they seem to have the best price to performance ratio. The one question for those of you who use them is how do you prevent flare since you can't use your lens hood? I see that a few manufactures make folding hoods that connect to the filter holder but they seem to be fairly expensive and bulky. Any suggestions?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>I don't know about Hitech, but Cokin has hoods that attach to the filter holder. Not exactly ideal since there is still a little open space between the hood and the lens, but it's better than nothing. Another option: Get a big, honkin' hat and use to to shade the filter and lens.</p>

<p>Putting a big flat area of uncoated glass (or resin) in front of your camera increases the probability of flare. The bellows hoods are a pain to use IMO and whilst I've had two sets I haven't actually made much use of either. Whenever possible and especially when using filters I try and photograph from shade, or use a wide range of blocking techniques to keep sun off the front element. Most of these require a tripod so you have a hand free to use as a shade, or hold and umbrella, hat, map or whatever. I might even ask someone to stand in a place where they'll block the sun. </p>