Coffee anyone?

larrydressler

<p>So I wanted to perfect my Caffinol-C developer and loving the sharpness of the Rollei 80s I mated them. Now my new formula has a higher PH than the normal and it left zero stain and just slight fog on the negatives.<br /><br /> Formula is as follows<br /><br />600ml of water.<br />2 tbs of Sodium carbonate<br />3g of Ascorbic acid<br />8 tsp cheap instant Mexican coffee</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokerphotography/sets/72157625864038599/</p>

<p>Nice shots. the boat anchor and smile skull came out really well, my favorites.<br>

You're formula for developer with (cheap Mexican coffee) produces some very pleasing results. (Go figure) The images that are portrayed from you’re formula are excellent !<br>

Does the slight negative fog hinder the prosses getting the final results any?<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Larry, The images look great. I'm surprised at the contrast and low fog you've achieved with this simple formula. Would I get better results with expensive Mexican coffee?<g></p>

<p>What would be really neat is if you found household products with the Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Carbonate that worked with your instant coffee. It would be a truly homemade concoction. I'm assuming you used pharmaceutical grade chems?</p>

<p>I also meant to ask: does the coffee stain the negatives any particular color?</p>

<p>Your results look really good. I don't understand why some people get poor results from Caffenol. Perhaps the coffee is quite a large variable (I don't know much about coffee, I'm a tea drinker).<br /> I have only tried Caffenol once and I was very surprised at how good the negatives came out. If I had no normal developer and needed to develop a film, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.</p>

<p>Coffee is a huge variable. I was only kidding about the Kona coffee, but as a connoisseur, I can tell when a coffee has a lot of acidity, which is mostly what you need in a formula like this. I just don't know of many rot gut instant coffees that would work, but Larry seems to have been sampling them quite heavily to come up with Mexican coffee.</p>

<p>Get the mess to 20C and then I did 14 minutes with the Rollei 80s. Water 3 crushed up Vitamin C tablets and then the Washing soda. Get that all dissolved add the coffee stir more rub the side of my nose touch the foam stir more ... 30 seconds at first then one inversion at 1 minute then 3 every minute after that. I went 14 because it was a low contrast day and low light.</p>

<p>great pix larry - <br /> if you have a trader joe's near you, vit c is 10$/lb and its already powdered. :)<br>

michael - <br /> the acid that is present in kona and latin american coffees is a taste, not the caffic acid that works as a developer. <br /> robusta coffee works the best ( high caffic acid content ) and instant coffees tend to be inexpensive blends of<br /> robusta ( for the kick ) and arabica ( for the taste ) ... <br /> <br />this past december i decided to stop buying instant. i bought a bunch of green-robusta beans ( sumatra ) and i roast them myself in a wok.<br />it works great with film and afterwards i use the "used developer" to process paper negatives. <br /><br /></p>

<p>My buddy was using it as a second developer for pinhole positives. Thing is I think I hit on the no brown stain point here. as for the fog it is nothing and it may just be a different stain and not fog. as you can see how sharp they are using a cheap Nikon lens and a rotten Epson flatbed.. :) Yes folks get that dig and sarcasm to those who slam my V700. :)</p>

<p> BTW the coffee taste bad.</p>

<p>I have a few questions...</p>

<ul>

<li>Do the coffee developers leave residue behind in the developing tank and reels? </li>

<li>Do you dedicate a set just for Caffenol to avoid cross-contamination?</li>

<li>Is it easy to clean off?</li>

</ul>

<p>Just wonderin...<br>

Thanx</p>