Coding Zeiss lenses

woolly1

<p>With the exception of Voigtlander 50/1.1 & 15/4.5 all my lenses are Carl Zeiss ZM models. I hear a lot of talk about coding of lenses but as I exclusively shoot DNG is there any point in the excercise for me?</p>

<p>I assume you have one of the digital Ms, coding does not help on other cameras. The coding allows the camera to add lens specific data to DNG files to remove vignetting. The coding is specific for Leica lenses, but it apparently works well for non-Leica lenses as well. The results are most apparent on wide angle lenses. <br>

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/<br>

I never used Leica with Zeiss lenses, but it it my understanding that you can preview the effect if you use a non-coded lens and select specific Leica lens manually in the camera menu. Coding will do the same thing, but automatically.</p>

<p>Yes it is an M9-P.<br>

Ok, I can see the use for the additional exif data, but as you say, one can select an appropriate lens manually ..... if one remembers.<br>

Thanks for the link. I can note the appropriate Leica lens model for my Biogon/Planar ZMs.</p>