cloud back-up?

Discussion in 'Business of Photography' started by sallymack, May 2, 2022.

1. Actually, it does. There are lots of types, and they store data differently. See, for example, this description. Regardless of the method used, the software will have a method for re-assembling the pieces.

Alan, this disagreement is irrelevant to your question. If you want to be able to access the copies without using a restore function, a mirror (copy) is your answer. But if your only concern is being able to retrieve the file by some method, either will work.

The file manager I used for my mirror, Directory Opus, makes this extremely simple. I have it configured so the active window comprises three panels: one on the left that shows the directory tree, and then two larger panels that show specific parts of the structure, both directories and files. I have all of the photos in my active catalog under one parent directories named "photos". So I just set the middle and left panel to the same part of \photos on the different drives, and drag from the copy to the mail disk. Trivially easy. It also allows you to compare file dates.

2. The KEY is off-site vs. on-site.

I have two friends that have totally lost valuable archives of their lives' work, that were backed up on-site, one due to fire and one due to flood.

3. So put the duplicate "setup in another location (office, your garage, at familiy, friends or the neighbours)". Make it accessible over the internet, and you can have your personal cloud.

The 'key' is to have both on and off site storage. What if that off-site location burns down or gets flooded?

4. DC, meet brick wall … :)

paddler4, dcstep and Ludmilla like this.
  5. Can you imagine qg going round his mate’s house and saying

hi buddy, don’t mind me, I’m just gonna set up my NAS in your dining room and ponce a bit of electricity while it’s running. Ok?

dcstep likes this.
  6. Very telling post, Ludmilla.

dcstep likes this.
  7. It’s telling the world you are talking out of your posterior.

Do you really think a friend, neighbour, place of work or a garage are suitable places for an offsite backup? You notion that a cloud backup is just a backup on someone else’s computer is absurd. Cloud backups are stored in secure environments with massive redundancy. That is what people are paying for.

dcstep likes this.
  8. What did serious photographers do in the film days?
    Prints on-site, negatives off-site?
    Enthusiast photographers probably didn't sweat too much over that, at least I didn't.

I have many things in my home, impossible to replicate or copy, that I would feel more sad about loosing in a disaster over my measly efforts as a photographer.

Certainly, with the technology available and cheap, no reason not to spread out the risk if one feels strongly about it, but no need to bloat it out of proportions the either.

9. Yeah, LOL, Sam. Anyway, I think most readers can understand the options.

ajkocu likes this.
  10. Good points.

Still, times and technology have changed. Since protecting and storing photos has become so much easier, no one really has to sweat too much to do so.

Best not to let discussions and arguments on PN fool us into thinking everyone concerns themselves will all these nuances. Most “enthusiasts” may not back up their work or will do so with a minimum of thought and probably be just fine. People who take their photos more seriously will do more research and there are a variety of suitable options out there for backup.

Like you, I have some things more important than my photos that are one-of-a-kind and can’t really be backed up. Family heirlooms and mementos and such. But those things don’t get in the way of my backing up photos.

I imagine most would not consider their garage or neighbor’s house offsite enough, since fires and floods, a concern for many, are as likely to affect your garage and neighbor’s house as yours. Thus the idea that the cloud is more remote, and thus more safe … with the knowledge that there are few perfect guarantees in life.

dcstep likes this.
  11. About being an "enthusiast" versus a pro. I had over a TB of images and RAW files before I got serious about backup. After being with Getty Images since 2010, I finally started selling large prints (50" and larger). Before I became a serious enthusiast this time around, starting with my first digital camera in 2007, I'd been serious back in the '50s, '60s and '70s, but let that fade after my equipment was stolen. I reawakened in 2007, with my first small sensor digital, when I realized how I could easily process. I moved to full frame in 2008 and strove for 100% quality from day-one. Today, I'm selling prints from 2008, 2011, etc. My printer and I are talking about a 60+" version of my favorite Grand Canyon in snow shot. Even though I was selling prints, or even printing for myself, I felt like I should make the effort to create the best files that I could, because you never know what you'll do in the future.

Of course, I was spending 20 to 30-hours per week, so I was problem beyond most average "enthusiasts" at the start of that reawakening. Still, I think that striving for the best quality that you can manage can really pay off down the road. Luckily, I got serious about backup well before my HD crashed with 7-TB of images. The RAW files of everything on the walls of our gallery would have been lost. In some cases I could make do with the high-rez JPEGs, but I prefer to go back to my files for another look at each printing.

Still, my point is, "enthusiasts" can take some really special images. I was an enthusiast when I was at the Grand Canyon and it snowed. Now, as a part-time pro, I'm glad that I took the steps that made those images "professional level."

Oh, while talking about "back up", I save all of my "keepers" at full resolution JPEGs on Flickr. I consider Flickr and tertiary backup. I don't have the RAW file, but those full rez JPEG usually only need small tweaks for printing, or sales on Getty Images (mostly internet and some print publications). Thanks to Getty, I've been published in Field & Stream, Travel & Leisure, Boston Globe, Wall Street Journal, etc..

12. I've finally started digitizing some very old family photos--most going back only to the 1940s or 1930s, but one dating from roughly 1885--and doing a little digital restoration. It's slow going, and I won't get all that many done, but every one I complete is immediately backed up twice, so there are three digital copies of it as well as any prints I make.

dcstep likes this.
  13. Nice!

Is one of you backups off-site or cloud?

14. One on-site mirror, one cloud-based backup (BackBlaze).

15. PapaTango

PapaTango I See Things

And now they are retired and live in Florida... :rolleyes:

For a long time, I was using Amazon S3 (and Filezilla as the transfer client) to hold certain folder, website, and work document backups. This was along with WD Passport images of boot drives. Lately due to changes by Amazon, I now back up to Toshiba X300 5Tb drives that drop into this:

SABRENT USB 3.0 to SATA I/II/III Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station

This is not NAS as such--but the rotating drives end up out in the garage shop--which is unlikely to burn along with the house...