Closeup lens or Extension Ring for Macro

larry n.

Eventually, I will invest in a Nikon macro lens.

For now, I just wanted to find a quick way to start experimenting.

The most likely candidate for a macro lens that I have is the MF 75-

150 3.5E. With this lens, can anyone say what would be the pros and

cons of (1) extension ring and (2) close up lens? With the extension

ring, what length extension ring would be recommended, and with the

closeup lens, what diopter?

Thank you!

With a zoom, I would recommend against an extension tube due to the way the aspect of focus changes as you zoom with a tube attached. Too, you'll need a mm of extension for every mm of focal length to get something like a 1:1 mag. Way to much lens for that. Unless you get something like a 12mm to reduce the close-focus distance in conjunction with a diopter. But you will have to deal with the zoom/focus issue. Not a problem but takes patience to get it right.

Look at the Canon or Nikon dual element diopters. No light loss and very easy to use, especially with fill flash. Canon has a "D" designator and Nikon a "T" since they also make single element ones. They don't measure theirs in strengths but rather match them to the filter size on the lens. You can get pretty fair results with these with good technique - good practice for when you get the macro lens. I'd stay away from the single element (especially third-party) diopters - not worth the money unless you just HAVE to go the cheap route.

I'll second the twin/dual element closeup diopters for zooms. If your filter size is 52mm Nikkor 3T or 4T, 62mm Nikkor 5T or 6T, others Canon 500D in appropriate filter size (Note: the Canon 250D is for lenses in the 30mm to 135mm range and the 500D is for 70mm to 300mm).

Long enough extension tubes to get into the macro range are a pain on zooms because the focus control becomes worthless and you focus with the zoom control. Closeup diopter filters don't have this problem and they also don't cost f-stops.