cgo

I think I've read everything on this site but I haven't seen this

discussed.

I'm tempted to try close-up lenses on my Elan IIe. Both my 28x105 and

75x300 USM lenses have 58mm filter threads. So, one set of 58mm

lenses would do both. Both lenses have UV filters attached for

protection more than anything else.

Do I risk vignetting with 58mm close-up lenses? Would I be better off

going to a larger size to avoid vignetting? How much larger? 62? 67?

TIA

I have the 58mm 500D for use with a 75-300, and have never seen any vignetting at any focal length. I've used it on a 105 macro, and have seen none there. If you do this, however, you'll note that the Canon diopters (and also the various strength Nikon ones, I believe) are optimized for different FLs - the 250D is a better match for the 100mm range, the 500D for the 200+mm range. The 500D on the 105 doesn't gain you very much at all, so to use diopters on both these lenses, you really <i>should</i> use two separate diopters, at around $80US each...

Thank you for your helpful answers.

From what I have read, the Nikon 5T and 6T are comparable quality wise to the Canon 250D and 500D, although different in magnification. But with the Nikon's at half the Canon price, it looks like I'm buying both the 5T and 6T (62mm) for the price of one of the Canon's. Plus $10 for a step-up ring that will definitely garantee no vignetting.

Thanks again ...

CG,

I have the Canon 28-105mm and the 100-300mm USM lenses. I also have the Nikon 6T with step up ring. I've never had viginetting, though I don't know if I've got to the extremes of the focal lengths.

THe Nikon 6T is an excellent lens and with the price, there is no way I'd buy the Canon closeups.

If you want to do the close ups, take off the UV and don't use more than two or three (depending on lens) filters stacked to avoid vignetting.

Good luck.

extension tubes are also excellent, and no problems with vignetting or compatability there.

If you'd prefer getting bigger filters and stepping up, go more than seven steps. 67 should be OK, but 77 would be better, and 82 even better.