Close focus M device?

kevin m.

Kevin, how about the closeup eyes for the 50mm Dual-Range Summicron? They serve the same purpose for the M.

Outside of that, there's also the copying stand, which gets in really close, for pictures of coins, etc. And there's an outfit with four legs, for copying a document, or other area the size of a letter.

"Do any of you gear heads know if there's an equivalent to the screwmount "nooky" or whatever they're called for an M body? Thanks!"

SOOKY-M aka SOMKY aka 16507 (uses collapsible 5cm 2.8 Elmar or collapsible 2.0 Summicron). With VOORF adaptor it can also use the head only, from the 11818 rigid or 11918 D/R Summicron. I don't know if it will work with the modern day 50mm Elmar, but definitely not with any of the other 50s. The repro ratio is from about 1:15 down to 1.5 I'm not sure what distances those translate to.

Kevin, the area covered by the D.R. Summicron at the closest distance using the eyes is about the exact same area as you can get with any of the 90's at their closest distance all by themselves. If you already have a 90 Elmar or Elmarit in any of their versions you're all set. Yes, the perspective isn't the same and there's a bit less depth of field, but it sure makes things easy, and saves time and money.

The devices do a pretty good job of taking care of it at the plane of focus but of course the angle of view isn't the same so the relationship of objects front to back won't be as accurate as using a Visoflex or SLR.

The biggest advantages of these gizmos is that they take up little room to carry around, and weigh very little also. They might not be the ideal tool to use, but better than no tool at all when you need them. They do get the job done.

Kevin, you can get a cheap Nikon body and macro lens that would really fit the bill for

film macro. I had an FM2n and sold it, but it's looking like I'm going to have to pick

one up again. For what you get for cost, a great bargain, and tough as nails.

From what I understand, if you want to get into D200 somewhere down the line, or if

you have one, the AI and AIS lenses fit that too.

The NOOKY fits only the Barnacks and their clones (LTM). I believe it will even fit some of the early Feds and Zorkiis. The SOMKY fits the M series with the possible exception of the M5. I don't know about the M8. Parallax is compensated in the NOOKY. The SOMKY depends on the internal parallax compensation in the M's.

"I was just hoping to toss an item in the bag that could work in a pinch, not for true macro work. If these devices require that I buy a different lens then, yeah, I'd be better off getting a macro lens for my Canon SLR."

I don't know if a Visoflex fits your definition of something you could toss in the bag, but a Viso-II with the straight-up chimney finder isn't much bigger than a 135mm Tele-Elmar, and it'll act like an extension tube if you put any M or screw lens on it, though you'd probably want to use at least a 50, better a 90, because of the working distance. It also gives you a parallax-less view. And it shouldn't set you back more than $50-75 these days, plus (again, with the straight-up finder) it will fit a Hexar or a Bessa too...though you will probably need to unscrew the release arm (makes it more portable)and trip the mirror through the cable release port with a paperclip. A little clumsy but it's a cheap solution and it does work for macro a lot better than any of the occular devices. I'm told that stopping lenses down is a good idea since none of them were designed with macro in mind.