I've got an assignment coming up where I'll be shooting a ceremony.

The clients have requested a photo CD of the shots taken. I'd like to

provide them images that will allow up to a 4x6 print from the CD

files but no larger. If they need larger images, say 5x7 or 8x10, I'd

like to have them purchased through me and printed by my lab.

What settings should I use on these JPEG images for the CD to allow

them good 4x6 prints, but nothing larger than that? Do I do it

through the document size in Photoshop, or should I manipulate the

pixels or ?

I've searched the site and found some good articles explaining how to

enlarge JPEGs successfully, as well as explaining JPEG compression,

but nothing that really describes what setting should be used ot allow

a certain size print and nothing more.

Thanks in advance,

-Nashvegas

Any image size that you put in your CD and give to the clients, they will be able to print. They can print either size they choose. The trick is on giving them a very low resolution file that is only good for web, not print. Say a 800x400 with a 72dpi is good for web and if your client tries to print this file, they will get very bad pixelated images.

Another alternative is to create a DVD instead of the CD, where your files are saved as a video file and they cannot make a print of it.

What I do is offer a CD with files resized for printing 4x6 @ 300 dpi, but charge for it. I consider that by giving the clients a CD, I'm saving myself the hassle of getting the prints done for them, but to compensate, they should pay royalties.

I generally charge 35 CAD$ for such a CD, but this varies according to the number of files. I'm not very experienced, so you could adjust this according to your price range.

J.

If you give them a 4x6 with a 300dpi. They will be able to easily print a 10x8 without any pixelation problems. Clients don't really care much about pixelation unless you are giving it for commercial work. Most clients care more about how they look than the technical aspect of a picture and pixels. Sometimes they don't even care if the image is a little blurred. With this said I explain why a client will be able to print a 8x10 from a 4x6 and don't mind. I think that if you want to make money, then you should sell them the prints, not having them print them. Because they will make 8x10 from your files if they want to.

Thanks for the feedback. I've done some testing and will sell the clients CDs with 150dpi 4x6 JPEG images. I did some test prints at that resolution and they looked good at 4x6 but began to pixelate at 5x7 and looked pretty rough (for my tastes) at 8x10. If the clients want to have pixelated 5x7s and 8x10s rather than purchase professional quality prints from me that is their option. This is a nursing class graduation ceremony of about 40 students so I've priced the CDs accordingly.

Thanks again.

Many times folks just want prints a year down the road; and the photographer has his name on the CD; but no phone; city; web site; fax number; phone number; for a print shop to contact them. This is typical. So the client will say they own the images; an the photographer is hiding from reprints; and takes the CD to a print shop; for enlargements; posters; etc.