Cleon C8 Remote

hwyblues

I own a 20d and a newly acquired 40d. Yesterday I ordered a Cleon C8 wireless remote. I believe the C8 will

work with both the 20d and the 40d. I wonder if two Cleon C8 receivers can be fired with a single transmitter

allowing me to use both cameras at the same time, in sync? Assuming this would work, does anybody know whether

it is possible to purchase just a receiver?

Monte

I haven't used that specific product, but all the cheap wireless remotes do not use pairing. So you should be able to fire any

number of receivers from a single transmitter. These remotes aren't super-reliable, so they may not all trigger

simultaneously for any given shot.

As for being the receiver only, you'd need to ask the retailer that sold you the product. I doubt it; I've never seen them

available for sale individually, only in transmitter/receiver pairs.

I wouldn't be quite so confident that these chips do not use encrypted signalling even when they offer several channels - similar chips are used in e.g. garage door openers which obviously have to offer a degree of security. The only sure way to know is to try it out. You can get wired remotes that allow more than one camera to be connected via sync sockets (and 3.5mm jack stereo extension leads, usually).