Cleaning the viewfinder screen (EOD 5D)

davidmccracken

Searching the forums here suggests the best thing to do with dirt on the

focussing screen and / or viewfinder screen is to leave it alone.

However, the dirt on my viewfinder screen is excessive and very annoying. Is

there a method of cleaning the viewfinder screen that is reliable and 'safe.'

I presume Canon can do this professionally. If anyone can give me the

approximate cost of this, I would be grateful.

I've used "canned air", brushes, and blower brushes. I've even used my own breath. One day I'd like to try the trick some car-wash joints use, and bring hydrofluoric acid to bear on the problem. What's a little toxicity when it comes to such a critical problem?

So I suggest you use your head. But remember that whatever you choose, the absolute worst case is that you have to buy a new one. Maybe $35?

The 5D VF screens are $35, and they come with a little plastic clipper that's useful for unlatching the frame so it can drop down after which the screen is easily removed for cleaning or replacing. You can do the same thing with a pair of tweezers. Unfortunately, the only diagram showing the procedure AFAIK, is included with a new screen from Canon.

Without buying a new screen, I don't know where else a description of this rather easy once you've seen it done procedure is available. Good luck.

You can't get to it without taking it apart. Canned air will just blow more crap on it. Be careful...I tried a lens pen and marked the plate the focusing marks are on (finally got the marks off). There's no way inside where the crud lives that I can see without a major project. This link shows how to get into the viewfinder from the back if you have the cajones. Hope that helps.

http://www.lifepixel.com/ir-tutorials/canon-5d-digital-infrared-conversion-instructions.htm

David - your frustration is evident, but I suspect I may not be the only one not clear on your nomenclature...

Perhaps this visual set of instructions will assist in finding the location of the dust...

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/haodafu/web/ChangeScreen.pdf

If not, ignore!

No doubt you are aware of the 5D + factory installed dust and grease issue, but be very careful blowing or brushing ANYTHING in the chamber before degreasing the chamber walls first.

Simon