Cleaning the sensor on a D7100

StanleyBeck

<p>Sometime last year I seem to recall a discussion with an assertion that wet cleaning the D7100 sensor would void the warranty (which doesn't sound right), and that the bottle rocket made the spot problem worse. I couldn't find that thread in my search. Has this issue been resolved in any discussion here?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>an assertion that wet cleaning the D7100 sensor would void the warranty (which doesn't sound right)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is total nonsense.</p>

<p>I would first try to blow away any sensor (or more precisely, the filter above it) dust with a bulb type blower, definitely not pressurized gas. If that doesn't work, try wet cleaning with a swab. But you want to first blow away anything that could potentially scratch your sensor.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that if you are careless, you can indeed scratch the sensor and in that case, the manufacturer's warranty, which covers manufacturing defects, would not cover the repair. However, as long as you use a clean, new swab and cleaning fluid designed for sensor cleaning, it is a fairly straight-forward process.</p>

<p>Just be careful not to leave any fluid residue behind. I have done that recently on my D800E, and the residue became new spots on the sensor and I had to wet clean them again.</p>

<p>Thanks, Shun. I thought it was nonsense, and agree with what you say. However, since I didn't follow the thread, I was curious about how the consensus turned out. And after spending this kind of money on a camera, "careful" is my middle name.<br>

Roberta, I'll check it out, thanks. Sure miss your photos on FB. Jeannean is back on again with some "spring break" bugs. If things work out, I may be looking for you by the Spillway before too long. :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Agreed there should be, but the mirror box of my D700 has wall to wall sensor at the bottom (back)...at-least with DX there's something of a gap around the edge of the sensor before you hit the mirror-box wall. </p>

<p>I've not measured it, but the mirror-box kinda feels the same size DX to FX.... I suppose this is because the lens mount 'throat' is the same diameter and the same flange-depth?</p>