Cleaning shutter (glass) results

gerald_wallace

This is a real basic question: after cleaning my shutter about 8 times the shutter (glass) looks clean based on several shots of a blue sky. The shots were taken wide-open at f/4. I also took a few shots of the same blue sky stopped down at f/22. The f/22 shots show a lot of trash (a lot of lines) around the perimeter of the pictures. What's happening?

Good luck Gerald!

I hope you are using appropriate sensor cleaning products. I'm inexperienced. Rocket blowers didn't get me too far. DustAid did help and professional cleaning services are somewhat affordable when you start going nuts over the chore.

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure what to do next because I have gone through the cleaning process about two dozen times and when I look at the photo's (the sky) in adobe photoshop cs6 (images_auto tone), I continue to see a lot of problem areas around the perimeter of the glass. (I need to fix this problem before September, when I'll be on vacation). Again, not sure what's next.

Whoa. TWO DOZEN times and it is not yet clean? Something is wrong. I have never had to clean a sensor more than once or twice. Either there is something wrong with your technique, or you have something other than normal dirt on your sensor. In addition, I would be worried about potentially causing damage to the filter over the sensor by going at it over and over again.

I have read that if you accidentally go off an edge of the sensor, you can inadvertently pick up grease that will then smear on the sensor. That has never happened to me, however.

My technique is this:

1. Start with a rocket blower.

2. If that fails, use a static brush.

3. Wet clean

You are probably well past the point where #1 or #2.

For step #3, I try to avoid going over the edge. One way to be safe is to move only toward the edge, not back again. That also avoids dragging collected dirt back over the sensor. I use a fresh pad for each swipe.

I have always cleaned my own, but if that technique didn't work, I personally would be tempted to try something different. Maybe one try with the lens cleaning pen that LensPen makes (I forget what it is called, but it is not the standard LensPen), and then take it to a good shop for a professional cleaning.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I think additional cleaning by me is a waste of time. It looks like I will be using my back-up camera (EOS7D Mk 2) while on vacation in two weeks. I think I will need a hands on second opinion on the question of cleaning my 5D Mk3 (perhaps Canon repair).

I can't speak for the rest of the world but Canon services seem all over the country here and apparently thrive to be swift.

I'd figure out how to give them 3 working days (among pessimists) and a chance to send your camera back if you live remote enough to not consider them in driving range.

Jochen, thanks for the recommendation. I talked to Canon this morning and asked specifically about sensor glass repair. Canon said they could repair/replace the sensor glass (not what I heard a few years ago)? That leaves me with some problems concerning time (I'm leaving in less than two weeks) and the costs (which will be more than I think it should cost). (My fallback plan if necessary, is to use my EOS 7D mk2). To expand on your thought - I live in Florida and the repair/service center is in Virginia. It's going to be close considering ship out tonight (Thursday), receive Monday or Tuesday, add 5-7 days before evaluation, repair time, and then return shipping (4-5 days).