Cleaning behind the prism...

aaron_lam

Okay... not critical but just a major annoyance. My Canon 1DmkII dropped out of the trunk

of an SUV when I opened the back. Ouch. Luckily, I think it hit the lens first... cracked the

filter. The lens still works fine. The camera seems to work fine (200 shots later).

But during the drop, some (3) large pieces of dust have appeared behind the glass to the

prism (I opened the focus screen and looked into the prism... there is a piece of glass

there... the dust is behind that piece of glass). I know it doesn't effect the image but it is

annoying when shooting. Anyone know how to clean it without sending the camera to

service?

Thanks!

aaron

Send it in for service. If you dropped it hard enough to crack the filter, the camera may need readjustment anyways, and they will clean it when they readjust it, and the lens will probably need an overall checkup, as even thought there may not seem to be any immediate problems, it probably will fail sooner. The pentaprism otherwise is buried pretty deep in the camera (dissassembly wise), so it would be very hard for someone who is not in the know of how to repair cameras to get to the dust. If they appeared right after the drop, however, my first thought is that part of the pentaprism chipped off! Eeep!