r s

I have slowly been lured over to the 'dark side' - which in my case means SLR

cameras instead of rangefinders - and am considering adding an SLR in the next

month or so.

<br>

<br>

So far I'm drawn towards the Alpa cameras. <br>Good lenses and really well made

bodies are the most important criteria. It should also be able to work fully at

all shutter speeds without the use of batteries. I prefer manual focus.

<br>

<br>

Would appreciate any suggestion for good 'classic' SLR's as I'm sure there a

number of them I haven't even thought of.

<br>

If it helps, my favorite rangefinder cameras are Leica M3, Leica III (F) and

Contax IIIa. My one SLR is my Hasselblad 500C/M.

<br>

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought for several minutes before answering.

I am far from a expert.

but likely you would be best serverd by one of the big three canon, nikon, or pentax,

olympus and konica and minolta all made cameras of good quality.

buy buying a lens or accessory may be more difficult.

the alpa is/was a excellent camera, but lenses and accessories?( forget it)

look on the big 'bay. log in check on closed auctions and get an eduacation.

many of the older cameras use a meter JUST for metering

remember a zinc-air hearing aid cell can be used to replace

the banned mercury call. You REALLY need to have a meter.

You REALLY don't want auto focus or a full auto camera.

I realize you want to avoid the need for a " battery or else"

-- dead camera. many of the older cameras will work fine using the sunny 16 rule. and the battery and meter are a " built-in accessory"

that you can use or ignore as you desire.

the folks here will add their preferences and experience.

- trust them..

I have my own likes and dislikes and MY favorite camera is not lited above.

Walter, thanks for your reply. I know Alpas and the lenses are on the expensive side. My upper budget is about 6-700 dollars for a body and a lens so you're right that the Alpa may be out of my reach - especially since I prefer the 10 and 11 bodies.

If you have unlimited money, for purchase and maintenance, Alpa could be fun. For mere mortals, something like a Nikon F2 with a few nice non-AI lenses would serve you really well, and would be not too expensive to get CLA'd, which IMO is essential if you actually plan to use any of the old timers. If you have the cash and really hate meters, you could spring for a non-metered prism.

Why not stay with the brands you already have and like? I'd suggest a Leicafelx SL or, if you can find one, a Contarex Super. Both meet all your requirements, and as both have TTL metering they are quite usable. A Contarex is difficult to service, but those that have survived will propably survive more amateur use for a long time. I'd keep my hands off a Bullseye as a shooter unless you don't mind using a handheld meter because the selenium cell is not reliable even if it still works. Alpas have a reputation for shutter tapering and are also difficult to service, and a C'rex is much better value for less money - think of all those wonderful lenses! Doug Herr features the Leicaflex SL somewhere on PN so I don't have to describe it.

Take a look at an OM-1 or 1n. Compact, lightweight and reliable. Yeah, I am biased, my favorite SLR, but if your used to a RF form factor the OM body is about the same size with just a little prism hump and the usual SLR mirror box. Also has interchangable viewscreens, that can turn out to be very important if, like me, you can not abide a microprism and/or split wedge smack-dab in the middle of your field of view. Zuiko lenses are still common, and not too expensive. My standard setup is a 24 2.8, 35 2.8, 85 2, and 135 3.5, all w/lens pouchs will fit in a small kit bag.

regards, John R.

Rich, it is all about the glass....

SLR any of the M42 Pentax Spotmatic models, there are about6 or 7

then invest in some M42 Pentax Super Takumar or SMC lenses

for me, although slow, the 28mm and 35mm f3.5 lenses are a revelation of outstanding quality

I like very much the 50mm f1.4, 105mm f2.8, and the 135 f 3.5, I have the 200 mm f4 but havent used it a lot.

Pentax M42 - millions of them out there

Due to the orphaned lens mount, the whole Canon line of manual focus SLRs and lenses are a steal. You can even use M42 lenses with the common Adapter P, and the oodles of cool Exacta and Topcon lenses with the uncommon Adapter E. There's also all the interchangeable mount lenses with Canon mounts (T-mount, T4, TX, Y-S, Unidapter, Uni-Auto, Adaptamatic, Adaptall, etc.).

Of course, if there's any possibility that you want to migrate to digital with the same lenses, Pentax is the way to go. Now that you can pronounce Pentax DSLR model names, sales seem to be taking off.

Well, theoretically Nikon, too, but Pentax DSLR's have viewfinders more suitable for manual focus. But you'll go nuts using Nikon and Leica, since all the knobs turn in opposite directions!

Its a pity thet you specified np battery, as an Olympus OM is my fave camera - but a few solutions that do meet your criteria: If you want solid and last for ever - Nikon F2 - a Nikon F but better, or if you want a sewing machine like smoothness what about a Pentax Spotmatic - both fine cameras, but with totally different 'feels'

The 'wildcard' suggestion must be an older Leicaflex - but lens costs can soon mount up, and make certain you can get the batteries for a very early one.

Nick

Add another vote for the mighty F. Of course that's my answer to must about any "what should I use" question. I just love them. A workhorse classic. If you're a purist and want something really rare and precious, you can get a pristine black one with a plain prism and put it on a shelf, and if you just want to go out and take pictures you can get a nice brassy FTn and just go out and take pictures with it, or anything in between.

Not that I would spurn an F2 either. It just happens that none have come my way cheaply enough, and the F's refuse to wear out. If you're starting from scratch and have the choice, the F2 has some slight advantages in actual features which would make it a good choice for daily use, such as a better mirror lock and a less exotic taste in batteries.

Thanks for all the idea-triggers.

<br>

I hadn't even thought about the Leicaflex SL for instance.

<br>

Between the Nikon (F) and Canon (F-1) I personally much prefer the Canon when it comes to appearance (I'm a hobbyist so I can 'allow' myself to let 'looks' be part of the decision as well).

<br>

I do like the OM's - and an OM1 or OM3 will work without batteries if needed.

<br><br>

Thanks again - I got some ebay browsing to do..