Classic Pan film, anyone tried?

j._raabe

I've just discovered the fotoimpex.de site while looking around for

FOMA films. I am more interested in the Classic Pan Films though! Has

anyone bought and used it?? I'll still probably import 60 rolls soon,

as shipping of $22+ doesn't really work in my favor unless I've got a

$90 or so order... By my calculations...

But these films look damn interesting!

By the way, I only plan to order 120 size, but ANY experience with

35mm, 120, or sheet films is welcome!

I got a box of Classic Pan 400 8x10 sheet film. I rated it at 200 and developed by inspection for 15 minutes at 67 degrees in WD2D+ (new proprietary pyro developer from Photographer's Formulary). It is too early to really say how I like the film--I need more experience with it. The image was clearly visible under the green inspection light, so it was very easy to judge. Additionally, the emulsion of this film is very soft, so it requires careful handling. I would suggest a hardening fixer.

The WD2D gave a very green stain, but I experienced some problems with uneven staining due to sheets floating to the top of the wash tray and getting too much air--WD2D negs continue to develop stain in the wash.

Classic Pan is rebadged Fortepan, Mirko says. I tried the 400 in 8x10". The base is thin, the edges are rough, and it scratches easily. I tried it at various times and ratings in PMK and in ABC pyro, and couldn't get enough contrast for good contact prints on Azo grade 2, but it might not be bad for enlarging purposes and for high-contrast lighting situations.

Fomapan T200 is an interesting film. It's a kind of low contrast look, but it produces steely greys reminiscent of films of the 1920s and 1930s. Think Fritz Lang and Alvin Langdon Coburn. I've used it only in 120.

As David says, FomaPan T200 is great film. I recently obtained 2 long rolls (100' 35mm)of it from FotoImpex. I prefer to roll my own. It's sure got more silver in it that that stuff they still call Tri-X.

FotoImpex is easy to do business with. There's an outfit here (US) that now imports some Foma films, but not long rolls, and not T200.

I've used Classic Pan 200, Bergger 200 and JandC Classic 200 in 4x5. They are all the same film. I like them for certain situations where I'm trying to get a classic 1950's look.

I was just looking at the JandC site (www.jandcphotography.com) and in their coming soon section they state they will be carrying fomapan in 100, 200 and 400 in Feb. I can't wait to try the 200 based on the above comments.

I've also used the Fotoimpex Classic Pan 35mm 400 film. Lots of grain just like the 400 films of the 60's. Again, great stuff when you want that kind of effect.

I think there is a Fomapan 200 that is a traditional film, which is different from T200. Fomapan T200 is a T-grain film, even though it's really old fashioned looking and rather grainy. I don't think any U.S. dealer can sell it, due to some patent dispute with Kodak, but it's not as if T-max 100 has anything to fear from Fomapan T200.

Thanks!

yeah, I've seen the FOMA films for sale on the J & C site, but was only getting EFKE films to try at that point. Also interesting films, though I'm still having trouble with curling. Oh well. Perhaps those are negatives to weight down and come back for some months later.

Sounds like the FOMA 200 would be worth trying. I might just wait until J & C get some of that in.

Mirko, that's the FotoImpex guy yes? So he says Classic = Forte? Hm..

Thanks again for responses!