"Classic" M6 & SF20 combo... will it work well?

SolaresLarrave

I know I won't have TTL, but can I reduce the flashlight intensity if

set on A? Apparently, I can, but I want to confirm with you first.

Explanation: I do have a chrome M6TTL with chrome Summicron 50/2

(new), but I want to sell it or trade it for a black body. Right now,

it's a DAG to get fixed, cleaned and sealed. I kinda resisted going

for a plain M6 because I got the SF20 and didn't want to lose TTL in

case I want to use fill-flash, but it seems that I still can use it

for that purpose on the M6. Am I wrong? If not, I'll be able to sell

it, get a black M6 and just get used to the shutter dial going the

opposite direction. Thanks for your help!

BTW, I did search the photo.net topics before posting this question.

you can get fill flash on a classic m6 (or any M) with a regular flash, SF20 or not, and the Auto feature of such a non-TTL flash may help you. You have (slightly) more limitations on your options, however, than TTL flash, and the think/set process is a bit more deliberate.

For instance, suppose I have a flash that at ASA 100 has 2 auto settings, f4 and f8. For fill flash one stop less than ambient, I coudl set the flash auto on either the f4 or f8, but the ambient lighting (that I am trying to Fill), means the lens must be set on f5.6 or f11. Those are my only options, not f2,or f1.4, for instance. Depending on the shutter speed (which can be no faster than 1/50th for sync, but can be slower), I may not be able to get an appropriate shutter/aperture combo.

TTL flash set to fill simply allows more settings -- in this case, probably any aperture in the range of from maximum to f8. You set the lens, and it will quench when it detects the through the lens correct fill. You can also leave the camera on 1/50th more often than hunting a slower speed, as any camera aperture (in that range above) will allow fill,

This is not an overwhelming disadvantage for non-TTL -- the slow sync speed of 1/50th makes fill flash a bit more difficult in bright lighting situations (say, daylight) for most M's, and the typical f4-f8 range of auto flashes is ok for other circumstances. But, in more subdued lighting, TTL makes the process simpler -- setting only the exposure on camera and lens.

(If I am clever, I can use manual flash settings, mask off my auto flash to get anything I want, but that is a nuisance).

If you think you will be using flash to any degree get the TTL version.

I've found that the SF20 works best when a diffuser is used (IMO, the best one is

Lutz's S-Fill ). However, that diffuser is difficult to use with the SF20 set on Auto. The

diffuser reflects light back into the flash's auto sensor, causing underexposures. A

discovery I made when using an MP with the SF20 and S-Fill.

If you wish to use the flash for daylight fill, you can put a ND filter on the lens to allow

more open apertures at the 1/50th sync speed. TTL allows this without fiddling

around setting compensation for the filter factor. While setting ISO compensation is

not difficult to do, it's a pain to remember to set it back every time you remove the

filter. I put a ND on and off frequently when shooting weddings as I move from

interiors to exteriors and back again. TTL is a blessing in such conditions.

My recommendation would be to get a mint M6 TTL BLACK, you should be able to pick one up around here for about $1,200. If you plan to use flash at all - the TTL will help. Also, if you started using the TTL camera,a M6 would have a smaller shutter dial going the opposite direction (counter-intuitive IMO), and a 'different' exposure measuring system as the VF only displays arrows and no round diod in between.

Now that chrome Summicron on your black M6 TTL... (see if you can swap it for a black at the place you bought it).

Cheers,

As usual... you guys are right. Sheldon, it was a matter of price: M6s are slightly lower in price than M6TTLs but then, I found one at the right price. And, Patrick, I did arrange a swap with the merchant who sold me the chrome lens, Richard Oesterling. I may have to pay a difference (I still don't know how much). In any case, TTL is worth keeping for me, even if they say that "real Leica people don't use flash"... well, I came to like flash photography, and despite the fact that, as Lacey put it, the shutterspeeds to play with are not a lot, I guess the TTL takes the guesswork out of using fill flash. I'll keep you posted! Again, thanks a big lot!