Classic Camera Trip to Joshua Tree NP

sg_adams

<p>If this sounds interesting to anyone, give a shout ! <br>

I'm heading out to Joshua Tree and environs for New Years with a selection of Classic Camera Gear. It is a challenging and wonderful desert landscape for any photographer, from beginner to pro. <br>

Right now the weather looks good, cool. It is winter right? <br>

Anyone interested send me an email. I have 6x9 and 4x5 cameras with sheet and roll backs with a variety of lenses and a 35mm K-1000 I will be shooting in color and B&W depending on circumstances. </p>

<p>Can't make the trip but I understand why you would want to go. Arizona has one relatively small stand of Joshuas on the road between Wickenburg and Las Vegas, Nev., that I didn't even know was there until a few years ago when I drove to Vegas for my daughter's volleyball tournament. The Joshua trees are most dramatic, especially against late- or early morning light.</p>

<p>Joshua Tree can be wonderful in January...but it can get cold at night! I pitched my tent for a week at Jumbo Rocks campground in January of 1995, and woke up on two consecutive mornings with my two one gallon water jugs frozen solid, with the temps hovering around a cool 15 degrees F! Still very tempting though!</p>

<p>For a start on research on the area, see photography there in the classic movie <em>Them</em> (1954), and also some scenes in <em>It Came from Outer Space</em> (1953). Those Joshua trees were especially beloved by 3-D movie makers and <em>It</em> was in 3-D and <em>Them!</em> was supposed to be, but the craze had faded. ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I went there one early January over 20 years ago. Back then at least, there were many coyotes, lots of bold ones who'd come right into camp. They didn't seem to be malicious, just after the numerous mice. Night is when they get less shy and they will come very near you. We sat on top of the picnic table with several coyotes no more than 3 feet away. It's quite an experience to have them yelp very loudly 18 inches from your ear with only tent fabric between you and them when you try to sleep. The mice are entertaining too, they have habitual paths at night and will scamper over your foot if you step in their path. The campground was nearly deserted, except for a secretive lone individual who was friendly, but who I swear was on the lam. The photo opportunities were very good. Many nice hikes there, ask the rangers for tips, notwithstanding the subject of rangers in your previous thread. Enjoy your trip. </p>

<p>Ah no, most rangers are the greatest. And some are downright goodlooking in the female variety. <br /> I got a few people from the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) forums maybe coming out. <br /> Yeah JT was a lonely place for a lot of years until it was discovered and eventually evolved into a fall, winter, and spring climbing Mecca. I guess a couple years back they finally started charging for the campsites in the developed campgrounds. I tend to stay in the backcountry unless there is some reason to get a campsite like a carload of pretty climber girls... Circumstances prevail sometimes.</p>