Classic Camera Repair Domain..

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marco_vera|1, Mar 15, 2005.

1. I was reading an earlier post by Mike Kovacs and came to think that I
    have lots of repair notes and photo's on camera repair that would
    probably be of more use to collectors if posted somewhere accessible
    to all....

There are plently of good sites out there (rick's comes to mind) and
    at least one camera repair forum, but a public web site where all
    this information could be collected would be great...

I am rather illiterate when it comes to Web hosting and don't
    understand costs much...but how feasible would it be put up a website
    with classic camera repair info?

I am thinking there are more people like myself out there with
    information in certain areas of camera repair and putting it all
    togheter would be great...

2. Marco,
    there is such a website on yahoo, actually a forum. Link as follows:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/camera-fix/
    they have a data base, space for files, space for pictures but just browsing through threads is a wealth of information. People are very nice. Membership is free. hope this helps

3. Marco,

In answer to your actual question about web-hosting and costs...

I have a website that I purchased and set up myself. Well, actually, I am in the process of putting it together - but you get the idea. The location is www.cameramentor.com.

I got the domain name, the web-hosting, and the web-based or ftp-based access for $60 per year from http://www2.icdsoft.com/

There are lots of services around, I'm not recommending one over another, but this is mine and I like it so far. I've had another website from them for several years and have never had trouble with it.

You can make your own website there - host your own photos, do email, and etc. Some understanding is required, however - could be a downside!

If you just want to put together a personal website and you want software that kinds of holds your hand and guides you through it, there are products like Microsoft FrontPage that try to do this for you, as well as Internet Service Providers like AOL and Earthlink that try to make it easy for you to setup your own webpage.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best,

Wiggy

4. True about yahoogroups, its just the interface is limited, and I'm eventually going to have a website up anyway for my nature photography and my classic cameras.

5. I started a web site a couple of years ago and I get great pleasure from it. Once a month someone will drop me an email and say nice things. My site started out as a place to put some of my pictures for friends and family to see. It is also a great place to store information for yourself, the class that I teach and others. When I started to repair / restore vintage cameras I kept pictures and notes and posted them on my site. I also show people how to put film in them and how to use them. Than different models along with pictures from them this helped cut down on a lot of email questions. This helped in my sales as I "looked" more legitimate and not just another "I bought it at an estate sale". Once I started my site it has gone in all directions and has expanded a lot. I purposed last month on this forum about putting together some type of list with different repair pages or a site. I enjoy the Classic repair forum but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and the forum is all words. I saw Mike Kovacs post yesterday and was going to contact him about me using his notes on my web site if possible (mike you out there). First I think everyone should have their own site it is something you have all the control over you can do it how you want Even if your not ready to start at least get a domain name I have had great luck with GoDaddy I hosted elsewhere for now $49 a year for a 1 gig site, it use to be $19.95 a year but I had to up my band width (the contest crashed me) These cheaper hosting can be found on ebay or I can pass on my host. I use Microsoft FrontPage to write my web site as I'm comfortable around Word and they work very much the same. I would be open to putting repair pages on my site for others if they are willing to do some of the work and also a link (email) to them if others have questions. This is a link to my Repair Pages

6. Sure put the notes up there.

7. If someone provides me with ALL the links, I can create a new page at dvfreak.com with them

8. I'm an outsider. I've never attempted to repair a camera, and I'm pretty sure that I'd screw up the first three that I tried to repair. So I couldn't contribute. Still, I'm interested. (And I live close to sources of very cheap nonfunctioning cameras.)
    I find most "forums" very frustrating to use. They're often good for question and answer, but people often ask the same question (or minor variations of it) again and again because searching is such a pain: questions aren't understood and have to be rephrased; chunks of messages are repeated in replies, and repeated again; corrections can only be added elsewhere and not to the original; and so on. As repositories for still-being-accumulated wisdom, they're awful.
    For camera/photography-unrelated purposes, I've recently been using Wikipedia. This really is amazingly good. Of course fratboys (and actual sociopaths) can and do vandalize, but the "watch list" system means that genuine writers easily keep an eye on their stuff and fix vandalism very quickly. So for most articles, for every one step back there are five forward.
    Wikipedia doesn't include how-tos: your article on (say) fixing a Moskva will be nominated for votes for deletion, the delete votes will hugely outweigh the keep votes, and it will be deleted. However, Wikibooks' "How-tos bookshelf" caters for just this kind of thing. The couple of examples there that I've looked at are very underwhelming. However, there's no reason for new material not to be better, as Wikipedia (or much of it) will show.