Classic book recommendations for historical/artistic photobooks...

joseph_andrew

<p>Hi all!</p>

<p>I hope that this question makes sense, but I was wondering if someone could recommend a classic photojournalist/documentary photography book that mixes narrative with sound aesthetics? Especially related to a history of land use, or the history of a region, and larger than a photo essay? </p>

<p>To me, many photographs are just very nice snippets, quotations of the natural world, isolated and decontextualized from a broader picture. For example, a beautiful landscape picture, taken as the sun sets, is very beautiful to me, but it tells me nothing of the history of the farmer, or the history of land use that a place has. And I find myself more drawn to the combinations of stories and photographs of people. </p>

<p>So to me, Robert Franks "The Americans" diplays a great deal about American culture in the 1950s nonverbally- but it lacks written narrative. Ruth Orkins "Through my Window" series has loose poetry associated with the city she sees, but poetry is just that- nonlinear, and abstract. Leonard McCombe did incredible work for Life Magazine, but he focused on one persons life, and usually his pieces were short photoessays, right (and the same for Eugene Smith)? </p>

<p>Could someone please help an aspiring photographer learn about some longer length, classic/artistic photographic books that merge narrative and history with photography? Are there any classics in that genre?</p>

<p>Sincerest thanks for your help!</p>