CL shutter scale problem

per_bostrom

My CL has suddenly got problems with the shutter scale in viewfinder.

I have run a 800 film and last frame I took with 1/250. Didn?t use

the CL for a couple of days, loaded with 400 film. Now the shutter

scale will move only between 1/250 and 1/1000.

Meter is OK so it?s not a big problem but an annoying one.

If setting time at 1/60 the vf scale will still show 1/250, if I then

change the shutter to 1/250 there is a "little" springy sound.

Anyone experienced this? Any quick fixes?

I have tried gentle knockings on the camera to no effect.

Welcome to the club. My CL did something like that for years and years. Recently the battery died and I replaced it with a mercury battery which you can get in selected places in Japan. Now, suddenly the thing is working more or less properly again.

Best thing to do is send it to be cleaned and adjusted for modern batteries. Sherry Krauter will do it. DAG will do it. It will cost you between $200 and $300 or so.

Quick fix? Slap the side with the palm of your hand. That will unfreeze things.

I have a CLE that I bought in March, 1985. Sometimes the diodes go nuts and run up and down. This has been going on off and on some about 1989. When that happens, I give it a slap on the side with my palm and its all right again for a few more years. I expected this CLE to die out ten years ago. It still carries on.

Make sure the "meter activation" position of the wind on lever is working OK. Maybe a contact is dirty. Maybe you have to wiggle the wind on lever to get it to work.

I once bought a CL with 40mm lens for a low price from a camera store. They said the meter was intermittent. The salesman showed me that in order to get the meter to work, you had to slap the side of the camera against the palm of your hand. I immediately realized he wasn't partially pulling out the wind on lever which activates the meter in the CL. If someone isn't familiar with the camera and buys one without an instruction manual, I could see their confusion.