Cinelike D vs V log on the GH4 - Thoughts?

michael_nash1

<p>Is V log really worth all the hype? I hate monitoring such flat video, and from the tests I see theres usually not any vast improvement after applying a lut - maybe a small increase in Dynamic Range, but in some cases I actually preferred the Cinelike D shots.<br>

Maybe it would work in the future if I was able to afford an EVF that would let me monitor with a LUT, but right now, I think I prefer the simpler workflow of Cinelike D.<br>

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot more work for not much of an improvement?<br />What do you guys think.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I'm in total agreement with you. I've been following several discussions on this on dvxuser and while some are enthusiastic over the idea, several are definitely not. Like you, I would not be able to stand trying to monitor with a flat toned image. Also, I'm seeing a lot of complaints of problems with skin tones.</p>

<p>Right now I mostly use NATURAL profile or if the "take" is primarily people up close I'll do a quick test using PORTRAIT profile.</p>