Cibachrome look, What super glossy papers?

A Lightjet print on Fuji Supergloss (aka Fujiflex) looks very similar to Cibachrome. My local photo lab (JW Photolab in Raleigh, NC) prints on Cibachrome with their Lightjet. I had the same pic printed locally on Cibachrome and Supergloss from Calypso http://calypsoinc.com

and they are very similar. Some subtle differences in the magenta but both look equally glossy.

The key is "closest". Anyone that says that their paper is close or the same as Cibachrome is fooling themselves and you. There is no paper that has the same quirky saturation, incredible color gamut and depth of Cibachrome and Ilfochrome. The fuji supergloss is a good paper and I havn't experienced the inkjet paper, but nothing is nearly as good or even in the same ballpark for archivalness of the old Ciba or Ilfochrome prints. The Kodak metallic also has some nice features, but nowhere near the color gamut.

Here is my local pro lab that will print digital files on Cibachrome with the Lightjet. http://www.jwphotolabs.com/

For all my large high end work I will probably continue to use that because I couldn't tell a huge improvement with the Fuji Supergloss. I also had two prints made on Kodak Metallic with their Lightjet and also one from mpix.com. Metallic is interesting but seems like a gimmick. For the B&W pic the contrast was so low that it was just lots of silver grey tones. It actually looked cool but it wasn't the look I wanted.

The best answer is to try a test print in each. This is art, only you can decide what you like but I think you now have some options to try.

The subject of this post is exactly my question too.

I always loved the tremendous depth and colour of Cibachrome prints from trannies, and have come across one supplier who is offering Digital Cibachrome (Ilfochrome) using an Oce Lightjet machine, but not well located to me.

Does anyone UK-based know of any London or wider UK suppliers who are also offering this combination (Lightjet to Ilfochrome)?

Lets' re-invent the wheel while we are at it.

Actually, art is subjective, and I respect anyone who can find a medium that helps express and communicate to the viewer what they want to say.Regarding Ciba/Ilfochrome paper I personally think an important distinction to make is that the dyes are in the paper and that is one reason the look is what it is.Application; I like the look of Ciba prints under Tungston lighting best or at least a color temperature below 4,800 degrees Kelvin, lower would be better.So I think that is another factor. As a caveat to this Cibachrome can be exposed as film or painted onto also.There are two types of paper to print onto of different gloss levels. Walt Byrnes p.s. After pressing submit I see that this is going to a digital forum.Please excuse an analog intrusion into your realm.I hope this helps some.