First, when the copy says the viewfinder is .72 or .85, does that mean that

the finder is 72% or 85% magnification of the otherwise 100% (no

magnification) view?<p>

...now if you were to choose, which would you choose, please:<br>

MP (.72) (german) <br>

M6 (.85)<br>

M6 (.72)<br>

M4P Everest (I don't know what kind of viewer it has)<p>

I do not need a meter, but if it comes along with the camera, okay.

Reliability is my greatest concern. <p>

See, I broke my CL. Bummer. But I look forward to the real thing with a longer

focusing base. The CL is difficult to focus up close.<p>

Thank you,

Yes that is what is means. .85 are nice if you use longer lenses and do not wear glasses. They position your eye too far from the eyepiece and you have trouble seeing edges.

.72 allows a tight 28 frame to be seen, but 135 is very tiny. You can see a 50 nicely with glasses, 35 without, 28 is a stretch.

You really need to advise if yu wear glasses and what lenses you will want.

The M2 and M4 are .72 magnification finders, so the 35mm frame should be very similar in

the M6 and MP...also the M4P. The .85 will narrow the view to the extent that the 35mm

frame would be hard to see with glasses. If you can find one, the .58 viewfinder is probably

the best if you are only going to use the 35mm lens, though the .72 is nice too.

I wear varifocal glasses and mostly use wide and standard lenses. I find the .58, and .72 and v/finders have strengths and weaknesses. The .58 (M6TTL) is great for lenses from 28 - 50mm, above that I regularly use a x1.25 eyepiece magnifier (an expensive accessory!).

I find the .72 v/f (M2) is great for 50mm to 90mm lenses, but is tricky for 35mm (and 28mm) lenses. I haven't used a .85 v/f: I guess it is probably best for 50mm and above. People who do not need/use glasses will perceive things differently. .A. [i'm sure I pressed Confirm - apologies if you get this twice]

"...find the .58 is ideal with the 35mm lens. It allows a peripheral view comparable to what the .72 allows with a 50mm lens mounted."

I don't wear glasses, and accomplish the same effect with two 0.72s, 35 welded to one and a permanently mounted 1.25X and 50 on the other. I use the same film in both. Therefore, no confusion WRT which film in which camera. If I want to use my 21 w/aux. finder (finder's holder is mounted on the deep back cap, no pouch) or 90, I put them on the camera with the 1.25X. It works for the better for the 90, irrevalent for the 21. One lens change, not two, and no fooling with the mag. lanyard and pouch. BTW, I also don't use straps, the thing the lanyard attaches to, on my Ms. Any one need these items? I will give them to you for free, e-mail me, it's new in box.

This does little for PdG, but I thought I'd share part of my workflow, which has been perfected for me by doing a lot of traveling with all sorts of gear. I have made a lot of mistakes in the process; a search of my posting history will turn up many.

PdG, I would take Alan Clayton's advice: 0.58 and a 1.25 mag., it's cheaper than an M3. I got mine used from this forum.

Thank you, everyone! I had the impression that the Leica group was not of my ilk - you know, the 60+ years old with presbiopia (which really IS a religion of sorts. :))

I have not seen a Leica M2 or M4 advertised with a .58 finder. Is it a very hard thing to find? I might just have to make-do. That's what I've been doing with the CL.. I have to tip up my glasses.

"Old age ain't for sissies!" (My mother said that. Dunno who said it before her.)

Very Best,

Pico

Pico diGoliardi Photo.net Patron, sep 21, 2006; 05:32 p.m.

Most excellent. I did some work at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine five years ago and got around elsewhere a bit for a few weeks.

I've not much to say except that I was too chicken to drive there. :)

What do you need to know? Political/social atmosphere? Demographics? Food? Habits?

Ask and I shall tell you what I can.

Stephen W. Photo.net Patron Prolific Poster, sep 21, 2006; 09:05 p.m.

The people, food, culture, customs, economy, sights, history, festivals/celebrations, and last, but not least, photography.

Response? NADA

I'll find out by myself and from the locals, as usual.

It's OT, but in this "Community", I know whom to ignore in the future.

Pico - the M2 & M4/M4-2/M4-P were not produced with alternative viewfinders (.72 in both, but different framelines). Upgrades to a .58 viewfinder, even if possible, would be prohibitively expensive.

The only real option in the "affordable used" range is for a .58 M6TTL (or an M7 or MP if you want to spend a lot of money). However, .58 M6TTLs are pretty rare and are snapped up quickly.

As remarked above, if you are ever likely to wear glasses and/or will consistently use 35mm lenses then hold out for a .58 M6TTL. Otherwise a .72 will be fine. You may want to check out which models have which frame lines.

My personal recommendation for anyone wanting a 'pretty', 'classic' cheap, good Leica would be to look at the M2: it only lacks the 75mm (& 28mm) frame lines and meter. "Good" ones are pretty cheap and common, "users" are cheaper and more abundant. Also, they don't normally have the problems with rangefinder prisms that afflicts many M3s. The M4 is a great camera but may cost 70-100% more than an M2: other M4 variants are not so dear. Good hunting. .A.

Some websites:

www.nemeng.com/leica/

www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica

www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm

I took the leap and purchases a barely used M7 with the .58 finder. It is rather strange for me to get an electrically controlled camera (shutter), but what the heck. Life is short. Might as well give it a go. Gads, what if I like it? :(

The .58 finder is most important.

Thanks to you all for your generous help.

(Now, don't tell me I got the worst one! Oh noooo!)

To Steven W - you could have asked by email. It is unrealistic to think that people dwell here all the time. Some of us take a break. My address is available by clicking my name. I would have been most happy to reply privately. There you go. Opportunity lost, I guess.

Hope you had a good time.

<i>Why not post for the benefit of others? You haven't been there, have you, Paco?</i><p>

I see that you are trying to start trouble. It won't work. Yes, I was there for work at the University of the West Indies in St. Agustine a few years ago. When I go, I usually stay on top of the hill at the Hosanna Hotel. It is convenient to the University Art studies center right at the bottom of the hill.

I am guessing that you did not go, or you went and stayed in the tourist area? Or had a bad time?

"I will soon be heading there on business and wondered about some experiences. I've worked in St. Croix, so am familiar with the climate."

Thank for the hotel tip. I may start there, but going for medium term, some months, so will be getting an apartment near the refinery; I guess on an island, everything is near. Any further suggestions? If so, please post to the original thread in the "Travel Forum".