Choosing a business name and logo...

leeblackman

How does one go about coming up with a business name and logo? I

really just want something that would look nice for my website I'm

in the process of making, but I'm just at a stand still. I was

going to try and use a nice font with 'Darwin Lee' without putting

anything like photo or photography or anything like that because I

consider myself way to amateur to attach that label.

But going thru this process I have to wonder how anyone comes up

with a business name. Do they try and decide while waiting in line

at the court house to fill out their DBA? Or have a list ready

before hand with first and second choices incase theres is already

taken...

Any suggestions or influencial websites?

I sometimes ponder the fact that even large corporations will spend millions trying to get their name to be a household word, then change the name. Like our gas company...can't think of what IS now, but that's how it goes.

My personal opinion- if you're starting a real business- is pick a name that allows the business to expand and that allows it to be sold. So avoid local place names in it, and avoid using your own name in it.

If it's just photography on the side and you have no real expansion plans, I'd say just use your name, and leave it at that. And if you're too amateur to call yourself a photographer, you won't need the logo and all, either. (but note that "photographer" or "professional photographer" are very elastic terms that don't require specific levels of skill to use).

If you really don't have any specific ideas yourself, it seems like you have two primary options. First, ask if you really need a "Name" and "Logo", if all you're really looking for is something neat to put on your website. What's wrong with just having "Lee Blackman"? If you're really wanting to do this with another name or logo, and do it right, consider hiring a local business consultant for help with the name, and then hire a graphic designer to develop a logo. Remember, you don't hire a mechanic to do your taxes, and you don't hire a lawyer to fix your car.<br>

<br>

Gary Crabbe<br>

<a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com">Enlightened Images</a>

Whatever name you pick, just make sure that you can (and do) get the .com domain name to go with it.

That limits your choices, especially if you want to get "artsy"

about the name. All reasonable combinations and permutations of "sliver", "light", "photo", "vision" etc. are already taken.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/website/domain_names.html

Lee, I think when you're coming up with a name or logo you need to take an "inner journey" to come up with something that reflects who you are , and what your photography is about! Stop thinking so hard about it ,and let the flood gate for your creative juices go! If your creative enough to touch someone with your photos , then your creative enough to touch them with a name or logo! Do you really want someone else coming up with a name or logo for "your" business? Come up with a list and ask your family & friends what they think. they won't steer you wrong! Peace be the journey, Charles

Hi everyone!

I come from the Graphic design and business naming consulting field. I can go on and on about How a name is crucial and important to a company but instead YOU ( everybody ) should read this PDF about how to name a business. Remember LOGO > color> design is a whole nother ball game ! but a fun process to go through.

here is the link:

http://www.igorinternational.com/naming-guide.html

Hope it helps,

Patick Warneka

I contemplated this very idea myself. And I realized recently that if you are going into

some sort of photography business (and your the person behind it) then use your name in

the business's name (such as John C. Larson Photography). A minor advantage is you

don't have to clear it with the government (at least that's the way it is in California). But

the main advantage as I see it is, regardless of the type of photography you go into,

people can see the business name and know who is behind it. If a customer wants to

contact your business they'll know who to ask for. If they see one of your photographs

and ask who the photographer is they will know immediately upon reading the business

name; and that may help lead to future sales. Check out www.johnshawphoto.com or

www.bobatkins.com. You know immediately who the photographer is just by looking at

the domain name. Why hide behind some fancy name when you're trying to make some

money? Taking so much time and effort trying to come up with a catchy or fancy name

seems like a waste to me. Remember your trying to sale your photographs and you want

your name attached to those photographs. When you go into business making computers

or selling coffee, you may want some other approach.

As for the logo, you said you consider yourself an amateur at this point. I'd suggest

skipping this step until later or even consider throwing the idea out the window all

together. I personally don't see the logo as that important. Take a look at other

photographer's web sites and see what you think. If you just have to have a logo....try

looking at your own photographs. Think about using one of those but select one that is

simple and basic.

Lee, I would suggest keeping it simple. Just use your name: Lee Blackman Photography. Doesn't that sound nice? I agree with the other posters. Using your name is more personal. I once had a small business I named The Advent Group. I thought it was a really great name for an event planning company. In the dictionary, advent means the coming of an important event. The word also has a religious meaning. In hindsight, it was the wrong name for my company. It confused people and I had to explain who I was all the time. I also made the mistake of trying to appear bigger than I was by using the word group. Be clear, honest and simple with the public.

A really good logo will cost a bit if you use a good graphic designer. Money well spent. However, you can start out with a really beautiful font. You would be surprised how professional you can look with a font that truly reflects your photography style. Good luck!