choose a lens for nikon or olympus slr

<p>You are way over-thinking this purchase, Philip. You're looking for a manual focus 35mm SLR with a good 50mm. There is no reason to spend 1000 Euro on that or to write about it on the forum this many times. Just get an FA/FE2 with any AI or AIS version of the 50mm f/1.4 or 1.2 or the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 - any of those will work well for your window-lit portrait project. Make sure you get a good tripod.<br>

Really, you could also use your G2 and be fine.<br>

Just get a camera from a convenient trusted source so you can start experimenting with shooting. Get people to pose in the sort of lighting you want and shoot some different films, develop in different ways, do some printing. That stuff will have much more impact on your results than minute differences between cameras and lenses.</p>

<p>You need to let go of the notion that there is a "best" camera and "best" lens. Yes, there are differences among cameras and lenses - but "best" is subjective. As Andy says - you are way over-thinking this one - the time would be better spend shooting with the equipment you already have. My local camera store has a used camera and lens display - if yours does too then just go there and take your pick - though I don't understand why you feel the G2 isn't up to the job.</p>

<p>Phillip, the best camera overall is a Holga 120n. </p>

<p>If it's good enough for some of David Burnett's published work it's good enough for the rest of us.</p>

<p>PS; Obviously I being faetious. But the truth is, asking 100 photographers 'what is the best camera or lens' will get you 100 answers. And every one of those answers could be valid in context. </p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>All responders above have it right.</p>

<p>Photography is, for me, a journey. I have had many cameras and lenses—and will have many more in the future. Each kit was good for some eason, be it some technical aspect or light weight, or a different format . . .just whatever. </p>

<p>The single most important thing is to access your creative vision and make images with whatever equipment you have. Let your creative process (the <em>gear you use</em>) grow as your creative vision evolves.<br>

The Holga-Lomo path is a real possability as it is a relativly inexpensive way to jump into medium format, pinhole or panoramic photography. Point-N-Shoot digital will allow you to explore lighting and posing options with immediate feed-back and no processing cost. Vintage 35mm gear will give you access to a wide variety of optics . . .at a relativly low cost for most of it in these times . . .and the darkroom equipment is low too.</p>

<p>What is the old Nike ad slogan? <strong><em>"JUST DO IT!"</em></strong><br>

Then tell us where you are and post some images here.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 weeks later...