Choice of trigger

andy_chubb

<p>Hi,<br>

I am looking to update my studio trigger system (Nikon D700 currently with INTERFIT IR trigger and Lastolite Lumen8 strobes).<br>

There are times (about 5%?) when I'll not get the closest strobe (the main light) to flash. Not a huge problem, but with kids it does mean that you may have missed 'the moment'.<br>

I've whittled my choice down to either the PW PlusII set or the Lastolite Lumen8 Radio Trigger. Big difference in price (£350 with studio sync cable vs £40), but would I regret NOT getting the PWs? I'm slightly worried that I may still get drop-outs with the radio trigger (and perhaps that other background lights might not fire) so would be prepared to slash out for the PWs as a one-off, if they are closer to 100% reliable. I'm not in the game to drop even more dosh on the nikon flex stuff by the way.....<br>

Anyone with any experience of these?<br>

Thanks<br>

andyc</p>

<p>Andy, I'm curious as to why you think you get drop outs, or what causes it. I haven't really experienced drop outs with pocket wizards or cactus triggers, except for one industrial setting I was in. I would consider the very innovative Cyber system from Paul C Buff.</p>

<p>I'm using the PW Plus II, mandated by compatibility reasons. Seems to work fine.</p>

<p>Never had a non-fire for reasons other than operator malfunction. ;-)</p>

<p>The Cyber system from Paul Buff looks quite nice, and much more reasonably priced. I prefer it's higher operating frequency (2.4 GHz v. 344 MHz for the PW).</p>

<p>Were it not for other constraints I would have purchased the Cyber system.</p>

<p>I have no experience with nor knowledge of the Lastolite.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Normally, I'd recommend the CyberSyncs, too. I have them, and they've never let me down. But you're talking about prices in "£" and saying "slash out" and "dosh", which all tells me that you're from a country where you can't get Paul Buff stuff easily.</p>

<p>I have no idea the quality of Lastolite Lumen8 (eliminate? What a horrid product name) triggers, but I share Leigh's preference for 2.4GHz gear over 344 or 430MHz (the frequency for UK Pocket Wizards). The Yongnuo RF-602 is the most highly spoken of "economy" RF trigger, very reliable even in large studios or outdoors, and about $30 or £25 for a pair, receiver and transmitter. Order a couple of pairs, and you'll have transmitters for all your cameras. My RF-602s were dang reliable in their original role as slave triggers. I don't even have 0.1% (1 missfire in 1000 shots. I flag shots in Lightroom with "did not fire" for flash problems) let alone your 5%. And now that I use the CyberSync system for flash trigger, I use the RF-602 for remote firing the camera, and again, it's fantastically reliable, better than 0.1%.</p>

<p>One of the things I really, really hate about Pocket Wizards is their huge bulk. If you put it in the hot shoe, and you shoot right eyed and right handed, the enormous Pocket Wizard blocks your left eye. I learned to shoot with both eyes open many years ago: a blocked eye is very distracting. And it breaks eye contact with your subject (I imagine that would be a real problem with kids. It's not so great with adults, either). The RF-602 is a little thing, it's not in the way. And it works.</p>

<p>thanks for the thoughts guys - I did look at the Yongnuo 602s for a while but found too many little posts from folks saying that they had problems with them. In the end I've gone with another IR trigger - this time an Elinchrom Prolinca. Not much more expensive than the Lumen8 and solidly built/good umph. I'd love the PWs but hope to save the difference to spend on some other gear (and hopefully not regret getting them....)<br>

andyc</p>