Choice of first wide angle lens for LF

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by gwebster, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I have a Rodenstock 135mm Sironar-N as my very first LF lens that I use on my Tachihara field camera and so far so good, I'm very happy with it. I would however like to think about adding a wide angle lens and I would appreciate some advice on which one to choose.
    For 35mm use, I love my Leica 21/2.8 for the sweeping vistas that it can yield and this makes me tend towards something like a 75mm for LF. The 90mm however seems to be something of a standard for wide angle LF. I recognize that these shorter focal lengths will also limit the degree of movement that I can take advantage of with my standard bellows, so I would love to hear what you guys think ...
    Is the 75mm too difficult a beast for a Tachihara with standard bellows? Should I stick with the 90mm?
    Should I be considering a recessed lens board for either a 75mm or 90mm lens?
    What are your favorites?
    I would like to find a lens that will become a real workhorse for me for wide-angle landscape photography.
    Thanks
    Gordon

2. Get a 90mm. If you can't find a 900mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N , a Caltar II 90mm f/4.5 (it is the same lens as the Grandagon); or the Nikon 90mm f/4.5, go for the Nikon 90mm f/8.

3. I use a tachihara camera with a 150 lens and a 90 lens. There is not much, but some, room for movement with the 90 lens. Works great.
    00T1yV-123831784.jpg

4. Ditto Mr. Vener on the 90mm lens. (I have a Super-Angulon and an Ilex.) A recessed lens board may be a good idea to give you a bit more flexibility, but you may also need an "L-shaped cable release adapter" depending on your particular lens and particular recessed board. [[BTW, if you think the Leica 21mm gives you a "sweeping vista," see a 6X17 roll film camera with a 90mm Super-Angulon!!!]]

5. A 90 is probably the most usable for landscapes. I prefer the 75 because the wide angle effect is more interesting. I don't think you can use a 75 with the Tachihara.

6. Hum! I wonder what this would cost ?
    If you can't find a 900mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N

7. Unless you have "faux-panorama" in mind, the 90 is the workhorse. Since you'll be in the field doing landscape, keep the size and weight of the lens you choose in mind. There's a big range. The slower f8 lenses, like the Fujinon and the Nikon are definitely smaller. For landscape, you may well not really need the extra stop.

8. Don't forget the 80mm Super Symmar aspheric XL. They are great with 211mm image circle. Hard to beat.

9. pvp

pvp

90mm is an excellent choice for a wide angle. You can find 90mm f/8 Super Angulons at very good prices, and the Caltar W-II 90mm f/8 (a rebadged Super Angulon) for even less.
    And yes, a Tachihara can handle a 75mm lens, however the bellows will be pretty well compressed and you won't be able to use much movement without a recessed board.

10. Thanks for all the great advice! I will search for a nice, gently used 90mm.
    Gordon

11. I vote for a 75 mm I also had as my first lens a 135mm for 3-4 years only my second was the f 4,5 75mm Nikkor and still use it more then my later 90mm but I also use the 47 mm more then the 90mm.
    If the camera can handle the 75mm then I would take it!!!
    Cheers Armin

12. I vote for a 75 mm I also had as my first lens a 135mm for 3-4 years only my second was the f 4,5 75mm Nikkor and still use it more then my later 90mm but I also use the 47 mm more then the 90mm.
    If the camera can handle the 75mm then I would take it!!!
    Cheers Armin