Chinon CE-4 and Canon EOS Rebel T3 lens compatability

lawl_smith

<p>Hello, First of all I posted here because I really wasn't sure where else to post this.</p>

<p>So basically I am a new photographer (got my DSLR 2 months ago). I am interested in both digital and film. Film more so to explore the roots of photography and to learn a dying art. This past weekend my father passed down his old Chinon CE-4 due to lack of use and my interest in photography. With it came 3 lenses and an extender:</p>

<p>The standard 49mm f1.8 lens (Bayonet mount)<br />A 135mm f2.8 lens (Bayonet mount)<br />200mm telephoto 1:4 Lens (Screw mount)<br />2x auto tele extender (Screw mount)</p>

<p>The name brands on the lenses aren't clear at all but I believe the 49mm and 135mm are Chinon and the telephoto and 2x extender are a Pentax. In regard to my Digital SLR I have a 18-55mm EFS and a 75-300mm ultrasonic. </p>

<p>From this my question is it possible to get adapters to use the lenses interchangeably with the bases? If so is it worth it compared to buying new lenses for my digital SLR? </p>

<p>The best solution is to shoot color negative film on the Chinon CE-4 (manual at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/chinon/ce-4/ce-4.htm ) and have the film developed and scanned by the drugstore, if you still have one that does this sort of thing. The lenses will work best on the camera they were made for.</p>

<p>You can get adapters to make Pentax K-mounts (which your Chinon has, see <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount">link</a>) fit on Canon EOS cameras, including your Rebel. The plain adapters are less than US$10 on eBay. I don't recommend the so-called "focus-confirmation" versions, your eye is good enough.</p>

<p>However, at best, remember that you will have to manually operate the aperture on the lens, manually focus, and meter with the lens stopped down.</p>

<p>If you like to shoot old lenses for their own sake, as many of us who are a little "funny" do, then this is worthwhile.</p>

<p>But the manual lenses will not really be practical as everyday shooting lenses on an EOS camera unless you are some kind of manual operation fanatic.</p>

<p>However, don't force it. It is possible that what look just like M42x1 screw mounts are actually T-mounts - forcing one, into the other, will destroy the threads. If the lens is actually something like a "Spiratone" or Soligor lens, for example, it may have been bought with the T-mount for use with a T-mount K-mount adapter.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advise. It's much appreciated. :D I'm used to using my camera on full manual (aside from focusing) so as far as that goes it should be fine. I'm just trying to save a bit of money until I'm out of university. The next lenses that I'm looking at are a bit out of my price range at the moment. The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens and the EF 50mm f/1.4. So I'm hoping these new lenses will get me through a little longer until I can save up for the higher quality ones. </p>

<p>Don't overlook the availability of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - often used for as little as $100. It's a fine lens, and will be easy to sell when you do get to your f/1.4. Many people have, and keep, both 50mms.<br>

Your kit lens may well prove to be the equal of the older lenses - try and see.</p>

<p>My experience w/ the lenses you mentioned has not been so good. Far too contrasty for my tastes, not so pleasing background blur (bokeh). If you're interested in film, which is indeed the roots of photography but hardly a dying art, then it might be smart to go w/ a system that matches compatibility w/ your DSLR. I'm not the one to ask on this issue as I do not shoot digital, but from what little I know, you can often use film lenses on your digital w/ no problems (other than sometimes needing an adapter and modifying your metering style), but using DSLR lenses on a film camera won't work so well, as your camera's sensor is probably smaller than a 35mm negative. You'll get a lot of vignetting. </p>