todd frederick

In December I spent some time in Chinatown in San Francisco and took numerous

photos, mainly in the produce area, using a small compact Fuji E-900 digital

with an auxillary 0.5 wide angle lens, producing 15mm images. I discovered

that I was able to get in very close to my subjects, chat with them, and they

had no problems with my photography. In many cases they wanted to pose. Good

experience.

I am posting one sample here below and a link to my gallery of photos of this

photo shoot, not yet completed. Please look.

Again, I am suggesting that a wide angle lens and close proximity to your

subject, especially if you are pleasant, seems to make street photography very

easy and enjoyable.<div>00Jmzy-34754284.jpg.65e63a3d84212f351c01292908f9b01e.jpg</div>

Thanks for posting Todd, some interesting photos there, I should go out to our own local Chinatown more often. Years ago, I believe Winogrand was one of the first photographers to put a 28 on his Leica instead of a 'classic' 35 or 50 lens, something that was very uncommon for street photography in those days. He even tried the 21 for a while but he abandoned it for he "could not control or conceal its attention-getting mannerisms" according to an essay by John Szarkowski which can be found in this <a href="http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Winogrand%20%20Figments%20from%20the%20Real%20World_10451_10001_15612_-1_11485_11487_null__6H101">this book</a>.

Very good work Todd. Did you offer any prints to any of your subjects? I occasionaly do but I get so sidetracked that whenever I remember who I have to send prints out too, it's never when I can get to the post office and then I forget until the next time it pops into my head.

So is this lens you used the equivalent of a 15mm lens in the 35mm film world? If so I'm amazed there wasn't any distortion in your images. Can such effects be corrected in photo shop? Did you crop at all? Everything looks placed well, and while you are close enough to your subjects you left just enough space around them to give a sense of place without it being too distracting and pulling attention away from the people. This is exactly what I strive for in my own work.

Todd, did you also notice how the more you interacted with the people the more your confidence and enthusiasm grew? This is how it often works for me so I can't imagine it'd be any different for anyone else. Furthermore, as this takes place your subjects will probably also be more enriched by the exchange between you and them. Even if you never see them again, they will probably always remember you as you will remember them.

Robert,

I've been taking a break from PN for awhile. I was involved in too much conflict in 2006 and wanted to get a new mental orientation. I've also been working as a moderator on another photo forum and that has taken up some time.

Marc,

This 0.5X auxillary lens is one of those $50 specials you can buy from on-line electronic distributors. I originally bought it to use with my digital Holga to widen the image a bit more, but discovered that it works great on the Fuji E-900 and I was surprized by it's image quality. I use it most of the time now on the fuji, and I can zoom with it to reduce the amount of wide angle effect. At fully wide angle is give about 15mm in a 35mm camera equivalent. I can do street self-portraits as well, a la Al Kaplan style.

The lens set-up does distort verticals at the full 15mm. Look at the first photo of the grocier and you'll see that the verticals curve in. This can be corrected in PS using Filter>Distort>Lens Correction, but I kind of like the distortion.

I also have cropped on some of them. The WA and The 9mgp of the little Fuji is great for that.

I was always intimidated doing street photography when pointing a huge camera in someone's face. I wouldn't like it done to me. This little camera has made all the difference for me. I get in close and relate to the people. We can joke, and even if they don't speak English, I tend to be friendly, and smiles and wave go a long way. I also by some of what they're selling. I got some nice Christmas gifts for my Honey.

I truly think I've now found a way to do this kind of photography that works for me. I can't wait to get back. Next time I'll take some prints and track down a few of the people and give them a nice 5x7.

A friend also went with me. I like shooting together. It's a friendship thing.

I'll take a photo of the camera set-up and post it.

That's the main reason I posted this thread: to give a suggestion about a camera/lens combo that works well for me doing street photography.

That's the main reason I posted this thread: to give a suggestion about a camera/lens combo that works well for me doing street photography

Your mind is far more creative than any piece of gear. You will find you will be a lot more satisfied with your results by using it. Gear is always very subjective to the individual.

There seems to be obsession by some photographers that a piece of gear is going to turn them into a special creative photographer.

Perhaps they are right, i don't want to accused again of implying.