China Trip: Look at my equipment and tell me what I'm missing!

ben_king1

I need your help, guys.

I'm going on a tour of China for 17 days (going to the following cities: Hong

Kong, Shenzen, Guangzhou, Guilin, Yangshao,Bejing, hanzhou, Shanghai) August

16. This is my first time off North America, so I am quite excited. During the

trip, I expect I will be doing lots and lots of urban "hikes" (touring the

forbidden palace, exploring the varous cities, etc) and a few day hikes into

the country side/villages (yangsho, guilin). Lots of plane and bus travel too.

I love landscape photography and I'm going to try to get some fantastic

landscape shots (sunrises/sunsets in Guilin, etc). I'm also interested in

getting urban landscape shots (shanghai at night, Hong Kong's skyscrapers, etc)

and candid portraits. Of course, I will also try and document a bit of daily

chinese life with my camera. Now, I'm still fairly new to photography (though I

have a LOT of "head" knowledge due to my obsessive reseach about photography

and camera equipment). I'm going with 10 other relatives (all adults). I won't

be bringing a computer. I will be shooting in RAW.

Could you guys look through my gear list and tell me if I'm missing anything I

might need on my China trip? I wish I could afford much better gear (I know my

grear is not that good), but I've already blown close to $3000 bucks and that's

after buying almost everything used from people on photography forums and

barganing like my life depended on it.

Here is my equipment, all stuffed into a Singshot 200 (yes it all fits, quite

comforatable too). The CF tripod folds extremly small and is very light. I am

able to slip the leg through the monopod loop in the slingshot 200.

-Canon 30D

-Canon 10-22mm

-Sigma 17-70mm

-Canon 50mm Mark II

-Lee Wideangle Filter Hood

-Lee Wideangle Adaptor Ring

-Lee 2 stop soft Graduated Neutral Density filter

-Lee 81A warming filter

-B+W SLIM 77mm mrc kaesemann CP B+W

-B+W 77mm MRC UV filter (for 10-22mm)

-Hoya Super HMC UV filter 72mm (for sigma 17-70mm)

-52-to-72 step up ring

-72-77 step up ring

-TWO Kingston 45x 8 GIG cards

-Horseshoe Bubble level

-WhiBal Grey card

-Lenspen

-Giottos Rocket Blower

-Cable Release

-3 batteries

-Feisol 3441 Carbon Fiber "Travelor" tripod with short column

-Acratech Ultimate Ballhead (tripod + ballhead weigh 2.7 lbs and folds up to

16.9 inches with ballhead on)

-RRS L-plate for 30D

-LowePro Slingshot 200 AW

Ben -- That sounds like an awesome trip. I spent 2 weeks in China in 2002 (Beijing, Shanghai, Guilin and Xi'an) and it was absolutely amazing. And the only camera I had was a Powershot A20!

Two things strike me about the list:

1. 2 8-gig cards, and no way to back them up.

2. No lens longer than 70mm.

I wouldn't want to travel without a longer lens, but I do my composing in camera. There may be times when you'll want to focus on something that's far away, so having only a 70mm lens means you may have to do some cropping in post-production if you can't get close enough to frame a shot the way you want. As I said, I prefer to compose in the camera and use all the available pixels to get the image I want, but this is really a matter of preference.

To me, the bigger problem is that you'll only have the two cards and no way to back up the images. You're running a serious risk of losing some ... or all ... of those images if one of your cards gets corrupted. You may want to consider bringing a laptop or at least some sort of digital wallet to back up your images each night. Keep the originals on the cards, that way you'll have the original and a back-up.

One other item you may need is a converter for the electric outlets. Most chargers are multi-voltage, so you shouldn't need a transformer, but make sure you've got the right size and shape plug.

Have a great time!

I've been to China many times with two Leica M bodies and two lenses. 35mm and a 50mm.

First trip? Relax and drink plenty of water. China is hotter then hell with humidity to match in

the summer.

Best wishes

Paul

I was there in June and probably shot 75% of my images with an EOS20D and a 17-40 f4 lens. I had a 70-200 but rarely used it. At least in Beijing, the pollution was so bad you could not see more than 200 meters most of the time so a telephoto didnt help much.

I would be more concerned about no way to back up images than about no telephoto as mentioned above. I would make a bare minimum of about 3000 shots in 17 days and realistically probably more like 6000-8000. I would think that a portable data storage device would be very important.

I do a fair amount of travel photography, and the longest lens I carry (on a 5D) is a 50mm. It's extremely rare that I want something longer.

The biggest thing I see lacking is a portable storage device (I use a HyperDrive HD80 with a 120 GB drive). On busy days of shooting, I can go through 4 to 6 GB per day--you've alloted less than 1 GB per day. When you've gone to the trouble of flying across the Pacific, you don't want to be counting your shots every day to make sure you don't run out of storage.

The other thing that you'll find useful is a small camera "day bag" for carrying an extra lens, a few accessories, maps, bottle of water, etc. I use the Domke F-5XB--it's tough, inexpensive, and secure (it has a zippered compartment, and a flap over it secured by a big, loud strip of velcro). You may think your camera bag is comfortable, but after a few hours of marching around Hong Kong or southern China in 90+ degree heat and 80% humidity, you may change your mind.

Ha..what a coincidence. I'm actually going to China as well with a buddy of mine. Your gear seems to be enough for what you plan on shooting. Although I do agree with the others that you should invest in a lens with a focal length of more than 70mm...especially if you want to capture some candid moments of the locals from a distance. I'm going to be in China from August 7-19 and visiting Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Macau. This is my trip where I'm taking my 30d (upgraded from Digital Rebel). Along with the 30d, I'm taking a 70-200 f2.8 IS L, and 24-105 f/4 IS L and a bunch of other accessories. If I see a fellow photography enthusiast shooting with a 30D on the streets of China, I'll come up and say hello. Have Fun. You're going to love China. Oh, and a piece of advice, I suggest going to Guangzhou on a completely empty stomach. Man, that place has some awesome food. They don't call it China's "food heaven" for nothing.

Yea, a backup body & a longer focal length would be great. Alas, I lack the finances for that, however.

I could possibly sell my 17-70mm & 50mm Mark II and buy a 70-200 f/4 but I feel that the 17-70mm will be much more used than the 70-200 f/4.

I would like a few more grads. I'm not sure if a 2 stop Lee soft grad is enough. I might need a 3 stop grad or even a 3 stop hard. (I don't want to do any digital blending between exposures. I find shots with grads look way better than PP fixes).

The slingshot bag is pretty light. I am hoping it won't be taxing even with all the heat.

It seems I don't have enough memory. I don't think any of my relatives are going to be bringing a computer. I guess I will need at LEAST one more 8 gig card, probably two. I think one 8 gig is about 1000 raws? So 3 would be 3k RAWS. Since I'm new to photography and travel photography, I don't know what my shooting usage will be. If I have about 16 actual days in china (not counting the couple days of flights), that's about 500 shots a day. That doesn't sound too much to me.

Do many locals own DSLR's? I don't want to stand out too much, and I don't want an audience when I pull out the tripod.

It will vary based on location. They were selling memory cards in booths at the Forbidden City, you wont stand out at all. No one noticed my Canon DSLR with L lenses. On the other hand my Yashica MAT 124G got LOTS of interested looks.

I was in Africa last year and was worried about electricity for my computer (I had a car charger for camera batteries and knew I could charge them from the Rover) so I brought along a Hyperdrive as mentioned above. They are relatively cheap and provide a great backup.

Ben:

You may be taking too much stuff that you may not have a chance to use. Leave the tripod, all the filters except the UV for lens protection home. Take a super wide angle (12mm or wider)for shooting the Temple of Heaven, and a wide range 18-200 mm zoom for the rest of the stuff. Take a 40-gig back up drive for photographers (no ipods please)so you don't worry about running out of memory cards.

I went to China in September 2005 and June 2006 for three weeks eacch time. I expect it would be extremely hot and humid in August in these cities.

The first trip I brough a Nikon D70 with a 18-35 zoom (not a DX lens) and a Leica CM and a Ricoh GR1s film P&S. The second trip I brought the D200, the DX zooms 12-24 mmm and 18-200, and a SB600 flash. I brought too much equipment! Next time, I'll just bring the D200 and the 18-200 mm, or just a Leica M6 with a 50 mm collapsible lens.

Have a good time.

Ben:

You may be taking too much stuff that you may not have a chance to use. Leave the tripod, all the filters except the UV for lens protection home. Take a super wide angle (12mm or wider)for shooting the Temple of Heaven, and a wide range 18-200 mm zoom for the rest of the stuff. Take a 40-gig back up drive for photographers (no ipods please)so you don't worry about running out of memory cards.

I went to China in September 2005 and June 2006 for three weeks eacch time. I expect it would be extremely hot and humid in August in these cities.

The first trip I brough a Nikon D70 with a 18-35 zoom (not a DX lens) and a Leica CM and a Ricoh GR1s film P&S. The second trip I brought the D200, the DX zooms 12-24 mmm and 18-200, and a SB600 flash. I brought too much equipment! Next time, I'll just bring the D200 and the 18-200 mm, or just a Leica M6 with a 50 mm collapsible lens.

Have a good time.

Lucky fella.

I just got back from a 3-week trip through China. I also went with a Slingshot 200, stuff to the brim. The easiest way to explain what I think you're missing is to give you an idea of the gear I brought.

12-24mm, 50mm, 75-150mm, Lensbaby, Full-flash, circ-pol, 3-stop ND, 2-stop graduated ND, cokin sunset (don't laugh at this one, I'll explain why). 6Gb worth of flash, plus 40Gb Epson photo viewer.

1. Bag - If carrying that around everyday, although not the heaviest, isn't the most comfortable. I'm not even old, fit and 28. I would say that more than 6 hours can begin to be taxing, let alone the full 16 hours when travelling. Depending on how you travel (my wife and I walk a lot) the fact that the weight is only on one shoulder can begin to wear one down after weeks.

2. Fast, normal lens - I had my 50mm f/1.8, but the focal length was too long. When viewing the 'great' and large sights of China this is not an issue, but there are a lot of street markets and high density areas where people (and lots of people) will be the main interest. It would have been great to have say a 28mm or 30mm fast lens for those times (especially in Hong Kong).

3. Filters - don't bother with your warming filter or your white balance card (I'd also say no to UV filters, but I don't use protective filters). You can do all that in camera, or if shooting RAW correct afterwards.

Last tip, related to filters, keep in mind the skies are NEVER colorful. It took about 2 weeks before I saw my first blue sky. Every other day was either polluted or overcast or a combination of both, but just keep in mind that skies are often very boring. Graduated color filters can be cliche, don't overuse them, but I felt it was needed in many places to add some interest. Oh, Hong Kong has nice blue skies, but its typhoon season, so often overcast.

About standing out with an SLR, chinese love to take pictures, you won't stand out one bit, not from your camera anyway ;) SLR's are not uncommon, but at touristy places you'll have people 'copying' you and taking pics where you set up. Pulling out a tripod will get you looks, but that's true anywhere in the world. Not an issue.

Keep an open mind

Fantastic answers guys, thanks! Very useful post Sampson. You found the Slingshot 200 uncomfortable? I wanted a system where I can easily reach my camera without putting my bag down. It's also nice to quickly stow away you camera when not shooting, rather than wear it around the neck.

The other bag choice I'm considering is the Micro Trekker 200; since it's a backpack, it will be more comfortable. It's still small and portable, and It has a tripod holder. That's too bad that there won't be any blue skies. Might not be able to use my new grad filter system. I expect the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai won't have blue skies, but what about places like Guilin and Yangsho? I doubt, with the exception of the Great Wall area, there will be little in the way of landscape shots in the major cities; I was planning to get my landscape shots in Yanhasho and Guilin. There better be clear skies there!!

Someone mentioned that I should leave my tripod home. I think I can find a good many uses for my tripod in China. Without it, I won't be able to take any decent landscape shots in Guilin or Yangasho. City-scape shots (hong kong from the Peak, the city of shanghai at night) and any night photography will also be out of the picture. It's a super light tripod and folds up to a little over a food, so I think I can live with the weight and size :)

Ben:

Another advise not related to photography. Bring enough or a lot of cash in $100 bills. Do not too much of your Chinese money (Yuan) in the US. Hotels in China, I hope you stay in 4 to 5 star hotels, give currency on daily spot rate. They don't take $20 bills.

China is still a cash based society. Some regional airlines don't take credit cards.

I would take a tripod, but maybe an even smaller and lighter than you have (something like Velbon Maxi or the smallest Gitzo). Good table top tripod would be another choice. I would also want a longer lens, maybe a 70-300 as it is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 70-200. I would not bother with so many filters. I would certainly want another body or at least a small backup digicam that uses the same memory cards. But with that many lenses I would prefer a second body. 350D should do well.<div>00M3Rk-37720284.jpg.1dc5bcd5e7f01abaf128e8390df1013c.jpg</div>

Good tips regarding cash. I assume I should only convert some of my USD/canadian to Yuan?

Great pictures Ilkka. I wish I could bring another body and a telephoto, but I've run out of cash to put towards photography.

Concerning a tripod: a table top tripod is worthless imho as it's way to small and unstable. Maybe good for a family portrait, but serious landscape shots? No way. the feisol 3441 is the lightest and most stable tripod you can buy. Sure you can get something that is lighter, but it won't be CF (which is a MUST MUST MUST for stability) and the tripod will be really short.

My Feisol 3441 tripod stands without the center colum 55 inches. With the tripod + ballhead, it's eyelevel to my 5"8 height. It also weighs only 2.7 lbs WITH the acratech ultimate ballhead and folds up--with the ballhead on--to 16.9 inches. The tripod legs can support 6kgs!

I don't see any othet tripod on the market that give me what the Feisol offers!

Thanks!

Tripod is a must. Even if it kills you. I trekked my newly bought Benro all over China, 5.5 hrs on the Great Wall. It hurt, but these are once in a life time opportunities. You'll kick yourself many times if you don't have one. Lots to see and shoot at night, markets, buildings, just lots!

In terms of in city scenics (traditional landscapes), I'd say there are lots of opportunities. There are tonnes of parks, imperial parks and regular. Still worth bringing your grad ND's for the off chance you have good skies.

I don't know if you are on a tour, but if you are not, or during your free time, one BIG suggestion. If you can get out early, try to get to venues as they open before the rush of tour groups. Its the most incredible feeling when you are the only ones at these historic sites, made ME feel like I was the Emperor.

Back to equipment. 8 Gb might not be enough for 17 days. I shot about 30 Gb in 24 days, some while visiting family and not shooting much at all. In mainland China, its all sights (even if those are of my wife shopping in Shanghai), I was averaging about 150/day.

The Slingshot 200 maybe be ok, just try it out. Pack your gear, then go on a full-day hike, whether to nature or around town for 4-8 hours to mimic your travel day. You might not mind the weight, but if I did it again, I'd want 2 straps. Slower access to equipment but your shoulders will thank you.

Wow, thinking about that trip really has me excited again, its only been 1 month and I want to go back. One more time, TAKE your tripod.

THanks for the reply Sampson. Very useful post! I love the slingshot 200's access to the camera. There is much to be said for being able to shoot some pictures then stow your camera away instantly. However, I am seriously thinking about that micro trekker 200 because of the small size and the tripod support. I wore both my slingshot 200 and my tripod case (with tripod) and found the combo not as comfortable as I would have liked. The slingshot 200 is fine (though there is a bit of pressure on the shoulder, which could get tiring after a few hours; I don't know, as I haven't gone hiking with the 200 yet) by itself, but the tripod presents a problem. I could shove one of the legs through the side monopod loop, but I'm hooped if it breaks! How did you haul your tripod around? Regardless of which bag I end up bringing, the tripod is coming with me for sure.

What stop grads do you suggest I bring? I have a 2 stop Lee soft, but that's it. Maybe a 3 stop soft? I'm not sure I'll need any hard grads (won't be by the water or plains). Maybe a reverse grad, though the 200 bucks Singh-Ray charges is a killer. Did you get a chance to use any grad filters there?

Good idea on the getting up early thing. I am going with relatives, but not a tour group (thank god!).

Thanks!

i spend 6 months a year traveling and shooting photos in SE Asia.

i use film ( do the math) and i find that my 24mm, 35-70mm and 135mm to be perfect (they the primes are manual focus so they are small). i also carry aan RB 67 with 3 lenses with the equivalent focal lengths listed. BRING a tripod for sure. i would say more smaller memory cards is what you want (so you do not loose all of it at once). there will be plenty of places to burn CDs or DVDs so do not worry about carrying your own computer.

eddie