be from fresh batterys, 1st unit has seen some use this year and in

recent weeks bfore 2nd arrived.

Other than normal wear and tear, some paint fade and discoloration,

the 2nd 4004 looks alsmost as good as my 1st. First one has been

stored in Nikon Camera "never ready" Case or in Pelican case when not

in use. I have the typical 50mm/f1.8, 35-70mm/f3.3-4.5 Zoom, and

recent addition of 70-300mm/f4-5.6 ED Zoom. All these lens work great

on unit 1. I typically shoot Kodak Max 400 or 800. Used to shoot

Royal Gold 400 or Ektar 1000, but can't get them any more.

Any questions, comments, and advice welcomed.

Test the meter in the new one against the meter in the old one, by viewing the same scenes through the same lenses. This involves a modicum of method and persistence, but the result is your understanding of whether one camera tennds to suggest a different exposure from the other.

Otherwise, walk it through its paces. Make sure the shutter and mirror work, check for flash function, twiddle the dials and push the buttons.

<<I typically shoot Kodak Max 400 or 800. >>

AAAAAaaaaaaaarghhh.

(sorry, just a little primal scream therapy.)

Charlie, you sound like someone who doesn't burn through lots of rolls of film every week. A roll here, a roll there, right? So if you switch to a better color negative film, you won't break your budget.

Try some good stuff. In 400 speed films look for Kodak Supra 400 or Kodak Portra 400NC or Fuji NPH. In 800 speed film, never mind trying anything, just buy Fuji NPZ.

If you usually use a bargain one-hour photo finishing lab ("prints is prints") consider finding a lab that will work a bit more diligently to please you.

Good film and a good lab... the combination is much more influential in your photography than you might think. It can be like having someone give you fancy new lenses... because the clarity of your images can improve dramatically.

Have fun,

You are correct, I do not shoot roll after roll, every day. I tend to shoot sporadically. I have done photos on work projects, I'm an Jr. Engineer with a local Die Casting facility. I have done some sports photos, for myself, of the local amatuer hockey team. I even have some interesting storm photography. I should propably post some of the better ones. Not having a true pro camera store in Temple, I would need to go to Waco or Austin, or order online, Kodak Max and Fuji Superia are my choice for 400 and 800 speed film locally. I have noticed the Fuji Superia shoots better at 800 than the Kodak Max. Quite frankly I miss Extar 1000 and 400. Shot about 50 rolls of it over the years, when I could get it. And here is something that will make you cringe, I finally developed, in January of this year, a roll of Max 400 that had been in my camera for 5 years, as well as a roll I had shot in 1998. I sent them to the Kodak Lab in Dallas through my local HEB minilab. They came out great, I was shocked.

My HEB minilab has also done good work for me. I sent some rolls through HEB and through Kodak, and could not tell the difference. My HEB lab is using Kodak Royal Paper and Kodak chemicals in a Fuji machine set to C-41 process. I do know this much, the one running the machine makes a differnce. If Rebecka or Ken are on duty, I get great results. If one of the store managers is over there, forget it.

Thanks for the responses, more are welcome.

<<If Rebecka or Ken are on duty, I get great results. If one of the store managers is over there, forget it>>

Okay, you have broken the code on labs. So keep using the HEB place as long as the two "good guys" are on duty.

As for film choices, I noted in your companion thread on lenses that ordering from New York can be easy and cost-effective if you can lump together enough purchases. Buying one roll is a fiasco because of the shipping charge. Buying lots of film, or buying film and other camera goodies, saves enough money so the shipping charge doesn't sink the deal.

Have fun,

Jim,

Thank you for the response and encouragement. I did as you suggested and put the camera through a test with all of my equipment. I shot up a roll of film, basically taking pictures of all of my gear. I attached each piece and used it like I have with my original. The only problem I had was with the SB-22 Flash, wouldn't allow the camera to fire. On camera TTL flash worked fine. I was using Kodak Max 400 in the camera at the time. After reading my books on the camera and Nikon speed unit, I figured out why it wouldn't flash. I tried it later without film in the camera and it triggered fine. Probably need to used film slower than ISO 400 with the SB-22.

I have had more fun trying to shoot in low light or at night using high speed film and a tripod, no flash, let the lighting at the scene do all the work. The camera did just fine, producing pictures just as well as my orginal 4004s. My multi-camera AF SLR system is starting to build.

I have a few things scanned into the computer already, I guess I should post them to see what people think. I do have a few great pictures, worth showing the world. West Texas Panhandle region does allow for many interesting pictures: storms, sunsets, windmills, etc. I will try to get some online in the next few days. Thanks again.