check out this PN portfolio.. wow

asher

This PN member has an outstanding portfolio. I'm posting the link <A HREF="http://

www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=338558">here</A> because of his

consistency and vision: one camera, one (fixed, normal) lens, one film- just like HCB

suggested but so many of us find hard to do. This portfolio is inspiring me to simplify

my gear, focus my vision, and <U><I>practice</I></U> the art of photography.

Yes- Patrick- they do all feel the same, but the combination of that consistency plus

the quality of the images is so fundamental to great photography, I think. Many of us,

myself included, look at this kind of collection and think "I <U>could</U> do that".

But we don't, and instead end up with a collection of images that are disjointed with

respect to personal vision & style.

<P>Look at the works of great artists: Rembrandt, Picasso, Mozart, Bach, Van Gogh.

More often than not, you just know who the artist is because his/her signature is so

unique and appealing.

Asher,

I do agree that quality and consistency are crucial elements to photography (I refrain from saying "great photography" because that will open up a can of you know what...) and I also agree that this photographer has a very well developed sense of vision and style. But nevertheless, many/most of these photos follow classical photography "rules" of 80/20, 1/3's etc, which is a very methodical and academical way of composining photos.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this folder and I've bookmarked it but nevertheless, I think it deserves some discussion.

While this portfolio is very nice, I would venture to say this person could do the same or better with 1 (different) lens or 10 lenses. IMHO the idea that a more simple kit improves your skill is the same as the idea that the best wiz-bang kit improves your skill. I also can't imagine most of the folks in this forum having lenses coming out of their ears.

However, I'll agree (with Asher) that this sort of unified vision/presentation is very cool (I probably couldn't do this :) and certainly is strengthened by having one lens/view (or many lenses of similar view, be it normal or wide or whatever). Maybe the photos aren't the most imaginative, but at least they show a certain amount of concentration and dedication, which to me indicates this person is capable of their own take on any particular style if they try. I mean, you have to start somewhere, even if it is with a Hassy and some very nice photos:) I'd be interested in seeing some original prints.

Hey Patrick- this discussion is exactly what I was hoping for when I orinigally posted!

You're correct about the "rules" of composition. This portfolio seems a bit formulaic

but despite that it is compelling, which is what interests me.

Devin- I think that for most of us, having several lenses is too much of a distraction. Personally, even one zoom lens throws me off because I'm never sure exactly what I'll see when I put the camera to my eye. With a fixed lens, particularly on an RF it's much easier to anticipate, plus I'm not wondering "what if I mounted the ___mm lens" while the fleeting scene disappears. Just my 2 cents.

I think I see where you're coming from with the idea of fighting distraction by only carrying one lens or really concentrating on using one lens and forming a single vision. I guess at the end of the day though I prefer the thought that I have a few more lenses sitting at home, in case I want to make a change. Sort of paralleling the concept all things in moderation.