I want a lightweight tripod that folds up small enough to carry easily

in or attached to a backpack (travelling in Kenya). It only needs to

hold 1.5kg (3lb 4oz) [Canon EOS30/100f2/550ex]. It will mostly be

used for landscape photos with my 50mm or 24mm lens and no flash, but

I'd like the option of holding the 100/2 and 550EX for shooting

portraits on the beach.

I'd also want to have a ballhead, but most of the info on the web

concentrates on ones that are great for HUGE camera systems. I don't

need that capability, and I don't want to spend that much money.

I'm hoping I can get something suitable for under £100-150 (that's

US$180-275, but I think things are much more expensive here in the UK

- although it might be worth importing with the exchange rate as it

is). (That's total cost for the tripod and ballhead together).

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions/comments!

Jon.

As always, I recommend the Velbon Maxi 343E. I spent a lot of time searching for a tripod for myself with the specifications you mentioned. I purchased this Velbon a bit less than a year ago, and I'm still quite happy with it. It weighs next to nothing, extends to a reasonable height (that was an issue for me too, since I'm around 5' 10" with the kitten heels I always wear), and can support the weight of an average weight system. The other issue was price, and this tripod is less than $100US (and it comes with a pretty good little ball head, as well as a carrying bag). In addition, it has a great warranty.

Check it out for yourself: http://www.velbon.com.au/maxi343E.html

Good luck!

Rachel

<p><i>As always, I recommend the Velbon Maxi 343E</i></p>

<p>I used to own the Velbon, but sold it when I bought the Slik Sprint Pro. The Slik has individual-leg spread, gets down to ground level (when the larger section of the two-part center column is removed), the center column can be reversed, the ball head is a little better and it's taller, lighter and more stable than the Velbon.</p>

Forget about the manufacturers "weight rating". I have owned and used both tripods extensively and the Slik, in addition to it's other advantages, is definiely more solid and stable than the Velbon.

Another option in this class would be the Manfrotto 724B. Although it doesn't have retractable spiked feet or individual leg spread and is a little heavier than the Slik, it is slightly taller and is more stable.

Thanks for all the replies so far... I appreciate the help and suggestions.

I'd not seen that Slik Sprint Pro model before. What's the deal with 'weigtht rating'? Could it cope with my 1.5kg/3lb4oz of kit? Does it have any other disadvantages compared to the Velbon 343E?

I recommend Bogen 3021 legs (or 3001 legs for less weight but also less height) with bogen 486 head (with quick release). Should be in your price range. Solid and easy to use. They handle my manual focus camera and lenses up to 200mm with ease (only minor slip when tightened with the 200mm lens). Kam

Bogen/Mnofrotto 3001 and a small Velbon, Linhof, Giottos or Bogen ballhead will fit your

budget perfectly. The tripod will require you to bend over if you do not extend the center

column, but keeping that column down increases the steadiness of tripod in general. I have

the 3001 and I just live with bending over.

Why that's an easy question teach!<p>

Bogen 3221WN and a Bogen 488RC0 ballhead or a Bogen 3055 ballhead. I have all three and not a complaint about any of them.<p>

Keep your fingers out of the snap locks on the tripod but they're very easy to set up and break back down. The one drawback is the column because it limits you to how close you can get to the ground. If you don't need to be twelve inches off the ground, you'll love this puppy.<p>

Links below.<p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=217266&is=REG">Bogen 3221WN, tripod</a><p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5307&is=REG">Bogen 3055, ballhead.</a><p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272989&is=REG">Bogen 488 RC0, Ballhead.</a><p>

I'm partial to the 488RC0 because of the built in leveling bubbles.<p>

Hope the above is helpful.<p>