cheapest square format digital camera?

<p>Hi. <br>

After using my Iphone (Hipstamatic) I really like the square format. I just get a little sad, when I get a really good photo, and it is taken with an Iphone. <br>

So i'm looking for a square format digital camera. Anything for around 3-4000 dollars? or is that naive?<br>

Thanks.<br>

(PS. I like film and I do shoot film, but want a digital one as well)</p>

<p>It's not something I've used in my LX3, but I believe it has a square format mode, which means you should check the LX-5 because it probably does, too. Not super cheap, but far cheaper than an MF solution.</p>

<p>In the point-and-shoot world, Panasonic LX-5, Olympus XZ-1, Canon S95 and many others offer a setting for 1:1 (square) aspect ratio. </p>

<p>Or, you can simply buy any digital camera and crop afterwards. I doubt it would be difficult to learn to see in a square aspect ratio after some practice. </p>

<p>Unless you're really set on using square format digital, why not use square format film? Huge saving in outlay, great range of used cameras + lenses, and you can always have hi-res scans made & then printed from the ones you'd like enlarged. You could probably get similar effects to your iphone app using a diana + camera, which costs next to nothing (although still overpriced imo), with the benefits of a larger negative.<br>

Or, if digital is a must, invest in a DSLR (aps/35mm format) and crop the image square in post processing.</p>

<p>Ricoh GRD3 - lovely little device, stunningly sharp fixed 28mm lens, fast f1.9 aperture, infinitely customisable, does square in-camera if you want, zero shutter lag for quick shots, fits in the same pocket WITH your iPhone. Ricoh's only downside is you cant make phone cals with it.</p>

<p>Thank you for all your feedback. It's not a jump from an Iphone to a 3000 dollar camera. I have a few cameras already and my profession is a photographer. That's why I want to try different things all the time. To see if I can express myself in other ways all the time. <br>

Thanks for all you suggestions I do love film and I really love Hp5:-) But I would like to shoot digital for work sometimes, and cropping afterwards is not the same imo. <br>

Kodak DSC Pro looks interesting. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>If you are still interested in square format digital, the Sony RX100 shoots square in 1 to 1 mode, square image in the viewfinder,<br>

and makes a nice image. This camera sells for around $600.00. Try one out, you may like it.</p>