Cheaper Camo for Your Lens

nathangardner

<p>I'm sure many of you, like myself, have cringed while handing over nearly $100 for a few small pieces of neoprene to camoflauge your lens. I bought a Lenscoat for a 70-200mm awhile back, and while the camo is effective, its down right expensive. Now don't get me wrong, I know it takes time and effort to customize each cover for each specific lens (once for the template), but I bought a pair of neoprene chest waders with probably 1000x the amount of neoprene as this cover for the same price. Anyways, I'll get to my point; after paying this much to camoflauge my lens, I started thinking about a cheaper way to do it. So I went to my local Bass Pro Shop to see if they had a similar product for guns. I found this camo tape specially designed for guns and bows and does not leave a residue when taken off. So I just got a new lens yesterday and couldn't wait to try out this cheaper alternative. Well here's the photo of my 400mm with the No-mar, as its called, Realtree camo tape on it. Also, notice that I was able to apply the tape to the area where the built in lens hood rests since it is so thin. I don't believe the Lenscoat can be put here, leaving a large white area exposed. I also was able to cover the tripod collar. I picked up the tape at Bass Pro for $7.99 and it may be at Wal-Mart too. It took me about an hour to make all the precise cuts and apply the tape. For me, $7.99 + 1 hour of time is a much better alternative than $100.</p>

<p>Here's the link for the product at Bass Pro. It comes in different patterns to match your camo clothing pattern. I used the Realtree AP HD.<br>

<a href="http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Specialties®-Camo-NoMar-Vinyl-Gun-and-Bow-Tape/product/53376/-1447947">Realtree No-Mar camo tape</a></p>

<p>I am not endorsing or suggesting that you use this. Today is the first day I've used it and I don't know if or how it will affect the lens in the future. I just don't want to be responsible for your expensive lens. I will say that it seems as if it really won't leave a residue, and it is designed for expensive metal guns, so it can't be much different from a metal lens.</p><div>00Y4CT-323253584.jpg.e1a8e86258c668220901e12c4b7da146.jpg</div>

great idea . . . now use it for 3-5 days a week for about three months then come tell us how it holds

together . . . I like the looks of it, and i've used that tape, but was not overly impressed with it so i did not

put it on my nikons, which really dont need it anyway, black does not seem to draw the attention that pot

metal does . . . o, I mean white does . . . ;-0 . . .

Anyhow, great job, report back after you've put it through the ringer . . .

Also, here's one for you - use the leg off a pair of camo frogtogs for a rain cover, it's camo, it's light, it's

waterproof and it's very inexpensive. . . you get two rain covers with one purchase . . . the elastic leg cuff

fits nicely over the hood . . .

<p>Folks,<br>

I covered a 300 f/4 with camo tape and left it on for several years. When removing it, I found that the adhesive had really become "attached" to the lens metal and, while it DID peel off, it left a gummy residue on the metal. It would probably clean off with an alcohol wipe. I honestly do not remember how I cleaned it off then (many years back). Will it cause a permanent problem? No. Just don't assume the lens metal is going to be smooth and clean when you remove the tape ... that's all. Years of heat and cold will cause the tape to somewhat adhere to the metal. I am also a hunter and do beleive that if you left the tape on a gun barrel for several years you'd probably face the issue.</p>

<p>I would like a black alternative for Canon white L lenses but I guess that if they did that most people would choose black and they would lose their advertising. (Oh, look! that guy has a white lens - it must be a Canon L)</p>

<p>As posted above I have had to peel old tape off things and it did leave a residue. This in turn came off with white spirit and the smell went away after a while.</p>

<p>Nathan. I have used the camo tape in several forms on my long lens for several years including the Bass pro product. I think the neoprene Lenscoat product is better and definitely more protective. IMHO like the lens it’s an investment. Good hunting. Andy

</p>

<p>Nathan,<br />Thanks for the info, but please do let us know how it works out over time.<br />I've had similiar thoughts lately about purchasing the "newer" camo tapes, but just haven't done so.<br />The last time (about 15 years ago) I tried doing this, I was left with the sticky goo, and the tape at that time didn't stay attached very well. Then the goo was removed with alcohol, now I think I would try the "goo be gone" lemon based stuff.<br />I've made some camo type "socks" with elastic at each end that I use, but I will only use in MF. I think they would restrict/effect the AF on my lens.<br />So far, I've had reasonably good luck with only the black hood of my 100-400 protruding from the blind, and the 100 Macro L is of course black.<br>

BTW, that's a nice job you've done!</p>

<p>My six year old daughter would love the Hello Kitty idea.<br>

Anyway, for my lenses I have used camo tape for many years. But I did not put it directly on the lens barrel. I cut a thin rubber/neoprene like soft foam in the right dimensions for the lens and wrapped it around each part of the barrel. Then I used strong (cloth) camo tape around that. The end effect is a "softcoated" camo lens, very much like the neoprene covers you can buy. Only at a fraction of the cost. I have used these self made covers extensively on trips in the African wilderness. No problems. And since the camo tape doesn't touch the lens barrel, the entire thing can easily be removed.</p>

<p>Been a while since I posted, but find it quite fitting that I use this thread to start back in. Being not only a photographer but also a hunter and outdoor freak in general I have used several adhesive camo tapes including the cloth style which is still on one of my rifles. The older tapes will all leave a residue but it easily cleaned off. Todays 3M camo tape is a lot more advanced than that of 4-5 years ago. I like Mr. Martens idea honestly and it would be very very cheap and easy to make. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I've been using 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape Delicate Surfaces (no. 2080) for years as a first layer. I then add a 5mm thick self-adhesive condensed foam available at my local Home Hardware depot in 7x7-in size. It is a way better shock absorber than LensCoat's. I recently uncoated my 500/4 P that has been protected like this for 3 years and the 3M tape left absolutely no residue. It never peeled away and was yet easy to remove.<br>

And now, with Nathan's No-Mar camo tape as a third layer, my protective kit will look just perfect!<br>

Thanks...<br>

Rob</p>

<p>Actually, it's been a year and three months. I have used the lens a fair amount. Not 6 hours a day for 15 months, but it hasn't collected dust either. I did unwrap and retape the lens once after about a year of use just to check the residue status. It left some residue, but it came off easily by a rub of the finger; no big deal at all. And when I did unwrap it, the tape was still fine. I've since wrapped a 500mm L too. For the most part it does fine, but the 500 has more contours and the tape will tend to peel slightly more in these areas. I'll post photos later.</p>

<p>Nathan, I use a camo gun sock. Cut it to size and stretch it over the lens. I tried the tape and after a couple months started to come up. I have been using gun sock for more than a year and it has done great. Regardless you did a great job, looks real cool!</p>

<p>Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

• 8 months later...
<p>I too have been perturbed at the cost of these neoprene lens covers, so taking the "camo tape" concept, I conducted a search. There's a fabric camo tape product by a company called McNett (product is called CamoForm http://www.mcnett.com/camoform/) that seems to be pretty well received based on ratings. So far, all I've found are references to use on guns, so the lens application is unexplored as far as I can tell. I've ordered a package and will test and return with an update.</p>